Looks like old NMEA wiring - any reason to keep it?

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Working on cleanup behind my panel and I have 2 separate terminal strips with wires coming into them tagged NMEA port 1 from chartplotter and NMEA port 2 from chartplotter. They’re not connected to anything at the terminal strips - each one is just dead ended at its own strip. Anyone have an idea why they would have been kept like this? Is it worth keeping as a backup in case N2K goes down? Or is it just leftover junk to pull out?IMG_0362.jpeg

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'm a big advocate of removing what you don't need. No reason to keep things you don't use. Just make sure you remove it all the way back to the source so you don't create future questions.

More importantly though, get a pair of flush cut dykes and trim those wire tires. Your future self will thank you!

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
More importantly though, get a pair of flush cut dykes and trim those wire tires. Your future self will thank you
for sure! I was just thinking the same thing while adding some ties to a different cable run yesterday. I need a pair of good lightweight flush cuts.