Looking for advice on prop sizes for E27

Phil Adams

Member I
Looking for advice on the best prop size for an Ericson 27 refitted with a Yanmar 2YM15 engine? The previous engine fitted was a Westerbeke 21hp 3 cylinder running a two bladed prop. Having changed the motor, coupling, shaftseal & shaft I left the original prop on to see how things worked but now feel that I'm not getting the best out of the new engine. Has anyone fitted a 2YM15 to a 27 and if so could you let me know your prop type (two or three blade) and size & pitch please? Also are you happy with the performance? Thanks in anticipation :)

Phil Adams
Trithena

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
IIRC, limiting factor on that model is the prop diameter due to shaft location, and it might be less than optimal. Maybe only 12 inches diameter or so.
Adding blades should get you to full torque on the diesel. Nowadays there are oodles of three blade props on the market and even some four blade.

Last edited:

jarnold67

Member II
When I replaced the prop on my E26

I worked with a company up in Canada, West by North Industries. I purchased a three blade prop and found them to be very good to work with. The prop looks small, but works very well. And when I upgraded from a Westerbeke 10Two to a Beta14, they were very reasonable in adjusting the pitch of the prop to account for the additional horsepower. I worked with Kelsey, who can be reached at kelsey@westbynorth.com.And I believe that West by North was recommended by someone here...All the best,John

JPS27

Member III
Ericson 27 prop experience

I’m driving home from Maine to VA now (wife at the wheel) killing time on the phone and can’t find an old thread with the tiny screen but I feel I’ve posted my trials and tribulations on prop issues before. After some newbie mistakes—mainly taking friends’ advice— I worked with a prop shop. My goal was as much control as possible along with proper match. I have a 2qm15and my 3blade fixed prop is a 12diax14 pitch. My prop guy determined sizing It works well. But prop walk and reverse adventures are no different. But I do hit hull speed at the right rpms in calm conditions.