Looking for a Serpentine Belt for Universal 5424 / M30

Sergio

I found kits for Universal engine but none for the 5424 or M30 (which are practically identical).

Existing Kits are:
M25, M25XP, M25XPB
M35, M35B
M40B
M50, M50A, M50B, 5444

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has installed a serpentine belt for this particular engine model or anyone interested in the project (design, fabrication of the main engine serpentine pulley). Here is a view of the main crank pulley of the Universal 5424 and the available mounting holes.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 10

Sergio

I have just replaced my Motorola 8MR2069TA 90A with a low rpm 170A... can't run this Hight Output Alternator on the stock 3/8 Vee-Belt without derating the output. So yes, next is to upgrade the Vee-Belt to a Serpentine (wider belt).

gabosifat

Member III
Let us know how you do Sergio. I have the M35 Universal in my E35/3. Our stock alternator is 55 amp and never comes anything close to that output ever. When i start charging after an overnight on the hook, the best I can get is about 35-40 amps and that only lasts for 15 min before the output drops (presumably because of heat build up as I know the battery bank will take it).
Curious where you found the serpentine kits?
Cheers,
Steve
1986 E35/3 Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island B.C.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On our boats the factory alternator belt works fine up to about a 100-amp alternator. And such an alternator can be detuned to 90 or 80 if the belt tends to slip. Or, as I have read, a switch can be installed so that the alternator can be turned on only after engine RPMs are established (apparently a low battery makes a big alternator work hard when starting, causing belt slip).

As I understand it, no alternator puts out much charging when a battery is already near full charge. If your battery were deeply discharged, you'd see more initially from a 55-rated unit. Even "smart" regulators, which bigger alternators have, slow down as the bank gets to 90 percent charged. Whereas my 100-amp will honk out 60 or more amps initially, when bank has been half discharged , it then quickly begins to slow.

A rule of thumb for recharging is to turn off the engine when output is down to 15 amps. That tells you the house bank is pushing 85-90 percent. Continuing to charge after that is inefficient, because the rate continues to slow and it takes a long time to get to 100 percent.

Corrections welcomed.

Sergio

Let us know how you do Sergio. I have the M35 Universal in my E35/3. Our stock alternator is 55 amp and never comes anything close to that output ever. When i start charging after an overnight on the hook, the best I can get is about 35-40 amps and that only lasts for 15 min before the output drops (presumably because of heat build up as I know the battery bank will take it).
Curious where you found the serpentine kits?
Cheers,
Steve
1986 E35/3 Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island B.C.
Hi Steve,

Christian is right on the money! This corresponds to the behavior of Lead-Acid battery under charge combined with the warming up of the alternator.
Just to give you an idea, with my previous 8MR2069TA upgrade and with a Smart Regulator (Balmar 614), I was getting a steady 70Amp in the initial charging phase. As the battery bank state of charge rises, the output Amp of the alternator is less.

I am an electrical engineer with a degree in computer science so I can go into much more detail if you need to...just let me know.

Also, I have not found a serpentine kit for my Universal 5424 (or M30) and my efforts to get ElectroMax or Balmar interested were fruitless so I am in the process of designing my own pulley set. However, those guys have a kit for your engine if you look it up.

Lastly, I see you are in Gabriola Island BC...this is where we are heading this summer... hoping to find a quiet spot to spend the winter aboard. We are presently in Honolulu enjoying the warm weather :).

Hopes this helps.

Cheers,

Sergio

gabosifat

Member III
Thanks Sergio. Have now got good solar on the boat which helps immensely. It was an idea to upgrade alternator with serpentine belt kit, but with the solar we seem to be doing ok for the time being.
As far as live aboard for winter, many communities are getting pretty active and trying to prevent liveaboards. Lots are seeking "certificate of ownership" which allows them control. Pollution is usually the driver.