Looking at an E27

MadMax

Member I
Hi All, I'm contemplating a 1976 E27. I grew up sailing on Long Island Sound in boats up to 20' and for about 5 years I was on the Marine unit of a shoreline police department operating boats up to 35'. My skills with sailboats with power is almost zero. My skills at taking care of boats is minimal. This boat is for my wife and I to go out on weekends and afternoons during the week just to sail around. We don't want to race or go very far, just enjoy the water.

This particular boat is clean as a whistle, the owner's had it for about 7-8 years. There appears to be normal wear and tear for a boat that age topside. Below looks almost new. It has an Atomic 4 30 horsepower that's clean as well, no drips, stains, rust, etc. and runs real smooth. No damp smell down below, the bilge very clean. He just had the transmission pulled and rebuilt and just had a custom winter cover made. The owner's a minimalist and doesn't bother with the pressure water in the galley sink, the stove and the head has no holding tank because I believe this boat was built before the dumping rules.

This boat passed the drive up test, when my wife and I first took a look we couldn't believe the boat was that old. We went to take a second look a couple of days later and while we were walking down the dock we saw an older gentleman walking ahead of us. We knew the owner was older and my wife said wouldn't it be funny if he was the owner. Well.............he was. We introduced ourselves and then he told us about the boat for the next two hours. My wife believes in signs and she think this qualifies. We're getting the survey done on Friday and he's asking $11,900. Whaddya think?
MM

dc27

have boat, need time
how old are the sails? seriously, even if you're not planning on racing, old worn out sails will mean poor performance and frustration -- and another few thousand dollars in investment down the road. you don't mention them, but that definitely needs to be taken into account when negotiating a price. presumably, your surveyor can advise you on their condition.

when i bought my E27 about 18 months ago, i talked the seller down by several K because the sails were in such poor shape even though the rest of the boat was great.

good luck!!!!

MadMax

Member I
thanks for the reply

The owner said the sails were in good shape, the surveyor will take a look at them. It looks like there's a good chance I'll be taking a sail with the owner the day before the survey so I'll get more info then. Thanks for the quick reply, seems like you've got a great group of people here.
MM

Skip Jim

Member II
the price seems a little high, but may be worth it. I would check other E 27 for sale and compare.

Skip Jim

Skip Jim

Member II
1972 Ericson 27 for sale in Massachusetts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one is listed under for sale and wanted below your post.

Fresh Water cooled AT4
Mail 2006 Excellent
jib (fair)
Storm jib (new)
Genny (fair)
Spinnaker Hood Excellent
Spinnacker pole
Danforth Compass (2008)
Wheel steering (Edson)
Danforth and plow anchors
200 feet anchor line (2006)
stereo/CD/speakers (2007)
2 burner stove
cockpit cushions

$6500.00 FIRM
all the rest - fenders, lines, boat hooks,

More pics later this week
Attached Thumbnails

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
MM,
Strictly "imho" but at that age a true Turn Key boat can easily be worth twice what an average one brings.
I hope that you can participate in the survey. I find that a good surveyor is also a good teacher!

Fair Winds,

Loren

(who used to crew a bit on an E-27 about 20 years ago. My, how time flies!)

:egrin:

TRMN8R

Member II
MM,
Strictly "imho" but at that age a true Turn Key boat can easily be worth twice what an average one brings.
I hope that you can participate in the survey. I find that a good surveyor is also a good teacher!

Fair Winds,

Loren

(who used to crew a bit on an E-27 about 20 years ago. My, how time flies!)

:egrin:

x2 on the survey...........MOST important. I JUST purchased a '78 E27 which also looked in great shape, recent sails, lots of electronics, etc but with the survey a couple key areas of concern pointed out. It became a factor in my consideration of my initial offer which was accepted. Keep us in the loop on your progress and good luck!

MadMax

Member I
Thanks TRMN8R

Thanks for the reply, if you could give me a quick walk through of your survey and what they found wrong and how you worked that into your negotiation I would certainly appreciate it, thanks again.
MM

TRMN8R

Member II
Every boat is different so different areas of concern will emerge between surveys for the most part. If you find a competent, professional surveyor, they will go through every system on the boats and detail everything. Mine noted one area of significant concern with a 'soft' foredeck which will need repair upon haul-out this fall, also a couple stanchion bases and loose cleats. Other areas are more basic but vital in the areas of safety, including lack of CO detectors and not enough fire extuishers or outdated ones which are easily addressed. A missing ground wire from the deck fuel fill to the fuel tank and out of compliance shorepower breaker are, again, things that I can address. Beyond that, none of this may even show up on the same model boat different (would be) owner, so if you're seriously interested in this boat or anything else to the point of wanting to purchase, a survey is certainly a VERY wise next step. Your safety and the soundness of the boat depend on this. Hope this helps.

MadMax

Member I
Thanks TRMN8R

I feel confident in the surveyor I found, he's going to be doing just about everything with the exception of taking the engine apart and I will certainly make sure all the safety concerns are addressed, thanks again
DM