Leaking ports

ron7546

Member II
Purchased an Ericson 27 last fall and was informed by the owner that the ports leaked slightly and he had included new gasket material which is exactly the same as used originally.Any info on the installation process?I understand it`s tricky.
Regards
Ron

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Check the thread on the maint and mechanical "leaky windows on 27" there are mant ideas on what to do. I posted my thoughts as a reply on the above listed thread. Also look under the 27 owners manuel under specs and documents. The process is simple and takes a couple of hours to remove clean and install the ports. bed all surfaces glass to rubber rubber to frame and frame to boat use closed cell foam. Tools needed a + and - tip screwdrivers, a scraper, solvent and patience.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Whats the best sealant for bedding lexan to the aluminum frame? Silicone? Or is there something that sticks a bit better to the plastic?

Guy Stevens

For polycarbonate or acrylic the best stuff out there for bonding and bedding is sikaflex 295 and 209 primer, you have to have the primer, but when you do it it looks awesome and will stand up to anything.

Guy
:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sealant experience

Hi Nate,
What I used for bedding four new lexan(r) lenses onto the FRP getcoated cabin sides was "Life Seal" made by BoatLife. It is one of the very few consumer products made to bond specifically to plastics like polycarbonate or acrylic.
We replaced all of the large fixed ports a decade ago -- never a leak or a problem since.
Loren