Larger freshwater Ericsons?

drcam1

Member II
Where are all the larger freshwater Ericsons? I have been looking around for several months and haven't had much luck locating a 34-200, 35-III, or 38-200. I have found a couple 35-III's that are currently in saltwater, but have been discouraged to place one of these in Lake Erie (by members of this forum). Were there just not that many made, or are they just all on the coasts? Am I going to have to go out and get a Catalina 34?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
After a boat has been in fresh water for a while it becomes fresh water boat. The salt water corrosion stops very quickly once the supply of salt goes away.

Of course, you want to make sure you understand the condition of the boat you buy so there are no surprises later on.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Larson Marine probably still has a vest pocket listing for that nice E-38/200 (PSC-built) that they were not able to move for the last couple years at a high price... you might give 'em a call and make a reasonable offer.

I would worry a lot more about condition than salinity, and I bought my last two used vessels in salt water environments and brought them to my fresh water venue. I had issues to take care of due to lack of maintenance by the prior owner of our current boat, but sea water was not the problem. :rolleyes:

Loren

drcam1

Member II
Loren,

So...If I found a vessel with a good record of bottom maintenance that is in good current condition and the rigging has been redone, you wouldn't discourage evaluating that boat?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren,
So...If I found a vessel with a good record of bottom maintenance that is in good current condition and the rigging has been redone, you wouldn't discourage evaluating that boat?

That indeed sounds like a good candidate. No I would not discourage proceeding. (I wish we had found a boat with those attributes, but, if we had we could never have afforded it! ;) )

Since the tone of the thread starter seems to indicate an interest in evaluating a used boat before putting some money down and paying for a survey...
perhaps a good checklist would help. On another sailing forum there is nice looking thread of guidance for this situation. Yes, it is close to overkill, but it is still a nice place to start.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/48177-boat-inspection-trip-tips.html
The poster is an old timer on that site and his approach seems reasoned out. I would not (and have not) done nearly all the things he talks about. Still, it's helpful to have a logical place to start when approaching a boat you've never seen before... :rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

makai

40 years in salt walt

My 1971 E29 has spent its entire life in the salt water environment. Gelcoat and stainless still strong. What's wrong with you guys? If you take care of your boat, it doesn't matter fresh or salt.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Making the Leap...

My 1971 E29 has spent its entire life in the salt water environment. Gelcoat and stainless still strong. What's wrong with you guys? If you take care of your boat, it doesn't matter fresh or salt.

Ha! Yeah, I think that I understand your point... but buying a big ol' sailboat is traumatic enough for most family budgets that we all (to a greater or lesser extent) agonize over the purchase. Logically, what most of spend on our boat is less than would go into a new compact car... :rolleyes:

But we are all a lot more familiar with cars in general and are convinced of their utility.

Then there is the "support" that we might not be getting from extended family... friends and relatives that would not never flinch over our buying a new vehicle (lotsa $$$) will be more amazed at us buying a (less $) "Yacht"!!
Within our own household there also may be some doubters, too. Sailboats in general are not nearly so mainstream as purchases as they were in the boom years of the 70's and 80's.

As Sean has observed here before, you are buying/joining a lifestyle. It's wonderful, fulfilling, and soul-satisfying, but still a change from perceived mainstream recreational ideas like perhaps buying an RV.

My .02 worth,
Loren
:egrin: