Lake Michigan or bust - rough weather anyone?

marcusn

Member II
This will be my first year on a boat fit to handle *almost* anything.

It's gotten me wondering lately, what rough Lake Michigan conditions others have faced. I'm imagining there will be days when I head to the boat, and have enough trepidation about the waves/winds to simply spend an afternoon in the slip.

In the Chicago area, there are certain hot steamy days, and no telling what can whip up. Often, one only gets a half hour notice... "hmmm, I don't remember seeing that dark cloud ten minutes ago"

I guess a fast blowing system will blast through quickly enough, and dropping sail should work fine.

On wavy days, will the shorter distances between waves challenge the steerage on my e27? I'd think so, especially running.

The boat came with a storm jib, which looks to be in very good condition. The main has two reefing points, but shows it's age. I'm thinking replacing it might be an 'investment' still made this season.

Anyone else care to ruminate about handling rough conditions on Lake Michigan?

I know the best and sound answer is simply - the captain/crew should only head out into what is comfortable for him/her/them. I'll certainly be following that line of thinking all summer. But, as I mentioned early on, I'm wondering what others do - face the weather always, push themselves and boat sometimes, or wait for the fair weather.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Having crewed on an Inland racing sailboat in winds up to 30mph(class cut-off) I tend to be a "pusher". My 23's rigged for just about anything(stormjib also and 2 reefs) and although it's been to Superior and Michigan I've yet to test it on the big ponds. I've sailed in 50+ here and if reefed properly it's not much different than 20.
The waves will make the difference. Do some reefing drills before you "need to".

Weather info is your best freind. The mid-lake bouy is in now and reports wave heights. www.wunderground.com (ZIP code upper left)has a Marine section and "current weather" reporting stations for your area.

NOAA data for Lake Michigan http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/WestGL.shtml
Perfect today 11mph and NO waves!

Last edited:

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
The first big trip I ever took on a sailboat on Lake Michigan was from Racine to Port Washington.

I had winds out of the south to pull me up to Port Washington and winds out of the north to pull me home.

It's the trip back that brings back memories. It was in early October, Columbus Day Weekend. Waves had been building out of the north for 2 days. By the time I left port it was rolling 8-10. Nice thing is - they were longer waves being out of the north, not that choppy crap we usually get.

Still being a novice and it blowing a steady 15-18 knots I had my 98% out and main with no reefs flying wing and wing almost at a dead run - maybe 10 degrees off. It was fun at first, surfing at over 12 knots, but as the winds picked up a little, when I hit the bottom of that wave trough, wow, she really wanted to head up, always a big fight with the wheel.
Still fun, but starting to get a little nervous, maybe I should reef. Well, I didn't, we were surfing and sailing and having a blast. Nature called. While in the head I head the biggest, loudest noise I ever heard - my son had accidentally gybe'd the boat! OMG! I thought there was going to be nothing left when I got topside.
Well luck was with us that day - minimal damage - goose neck bent a tiny bit, and a new ding in the boom. It's was my fault - I should have reefed and told him to bear away for a while - lesson learned.

By the time we got to Milwaukee waves were around 12' now - it was impressive! a twelve foot wave doesn't seem like much, but with swell periods so much shorter on Michigan than the ocean, they seem much, much larger. We furled up the jib, but didn't put in a reef the rest of the way home to Racine.

Thinking about it now, I was naive and foolhardy, but at the time, it seemed like a big, bold adventure.

By the way, I still love sailing out in a good blow, about the only thing that really puts the fear in me is lightning - not the wind or water.

Maybe we'll see you this summer,

Jason

Mort Fligelman

Member III
42 Years on Lake Michigan

Hi Marcusn:

I last had a Slip on "P" Dock at Northpoint.....Sailed a Seidelmann 299 "A Capella"....Will be sailing on a C&C 34 Custom "Volante" on Wed evenings with the NPSRA......The skipper is an old buddy who is being very kind to a geriatric......but I think I still provide a contribution to the boat...both mentally and Physically....

Lake Michigan is not to be fooled with or taken lightly.....my feeling was always......"if you get caught in it be prepared and do what is the prudent thing.....reef....take down the appropriate sail.....whatever is necessary...."

If it looks like it is rough.....maybe getting rougher....and could be a great adventure......."he who stays at the dock today lives to sail another day"...

That said......I have had 14 Mac Races under my belt on both my own, and friends boats.....took all of the punishment I want in the name of sport....got a lot of trophies and brag flags to show for years of prudent but good sailing...

If you feel that I could be of any help as crew/Instructor/helper, I am home in Glenview for the summer, and aside from Wed Evenings, I am loose to sail any time weather permits.....would be more than happy to do so....

Land Line 847-509-9883
Cell 847-414-1172
mfligelman@aol.com

Give me a call!

Mindscape

Member III
Lake Michagan

marcusn,
first Welcome to the board!.

There are many here that may wish to comment that know a lot more than me but here's my $.02.

I too had a Mariner 19, in fact it was an original O'day Mariner 19. I actually sailed her on Lake Michigan for a couple of years. It was quite exciting and but very enjoyable. Generally never felt unsafe, but in a a storm it was certainly exciting!

I sailed a 25' for 10 years on Lake Michigan and as has been mentioned with making some prudent decisions it can be fun, exciting and safe. In that boat I was caught in a storm sailing single handed that whipped up the conditions beyond what I had been in before. With no opportunity to get to the marina prior to the storm coming I did all the things that seemed to make sense to get both myself and the boat ready and then sailed through it. What I was amazed by was how well a well built and prepared boat can handle lousy conditions. You can get caught on Lake Michigan and you should be prepared, work you're way up to it if possible, sailing with others or with experienced folks onboard. I'm with some of the other comments that if you know it's going to be bad, wait to sail another day. Over time you will get caught on a lousy day and that will be more than enough.

I've made a number of trips around the Lake and these have provided
wonderful sailing in great conditions, wonderful sailing in lousy conditions and lousy sailing in lousy conditions. I've been happy and relaxed, and scared and tense, but looking back on it it's the ongoing learning process of sailing. Don't try to experience too much too soon, but don't limit yourself too much. With the E27 you've got a great base to work from. You will have to make sure it's prepared to handle the 'lousy' stuff.

Last July 4th I was on a lake crossing at night on my E32-3 and had the 'chance' to experience a severe thunder and lighting storm. Waves built to about 6 to 7 and it was raining like crazy. We could see our friends masthead tricolor in the distance and to add to the fun a freighter to the north on a not quite parallel course. Then the thunder and lighting started. Each time the lighting bolts happened for about a second you see all around with startling clarity, but since we were about 35 miles off shore, all you saw was waves running up behind us and a big ship off in the distance. Then you couldn't see anything as your eyes were now blinded until your night vision came back. The sailing was great, but it certainly was stressful! It was also not in my best interest to have brought my wife along with me! She was less than pleased:esad: The good news is she does not panic and was a great help sailing through the storm which chased us almost all the way thru the nite.

I'm sure there are lots with better stories and experiences, but I'm sure you'll build a bunch of your own. If you're in Kenosha stop by.