Jensen Marine and Ericson

nightworker

Hi all,

Has anyone heard of Jensen Marine - who I understand used to make Cal's - making early Ericsons? I've been sent details of a for sale Ericson 39, designer Bruce King, built 1971, Hull No WAZ 0228G, which according to a previous owner was documented with Jensen Marine as the builder. I'd be grateful if anyone on the forum could shed any light on this boat's origin. Many thanks, Nightworker

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I do not know the details well, but thought that Jensen was a corporation that owned, at one time or another, Cal Boats, Ranger Yachts, and maybe other brands as well.
Never once heard of them having any financial interest in Ericson.

I just checked my oldest "reference" a Motorboating & Sailing special boat show issue from January 1972, and the sailboat section shows Jensen Marine as producers of Cal's, from the 20 thru the 39. No other boats from Jensen were referenced.
Jumping forward a bit to the 1979 Sailboat & Equip. Directory, the Cals are being listed as built by "Cal Boats / Jensen Marine." The Ranger Yachts line is listed as built by "Jensen Marine, Performance Sailboats Div."
:confused:
More info, and yet another edit....
http://pages.sssnet.com/go2erie/calhome.htm
This URL has some good info and lower down in the page scroll is some info about the later conglomerate, Bangor Punta. I was purdy sure that O'Day was involved in there with the Cal name, somehow!
The one boat brand that is NOT mentioned is Ericson, however.

As to documentation, AFAIK the Coast Guard does not investigate this line-item stuff on an app for Federal Documentation. Unintended errors are bound to creep in, as they do everywhere in life.
Here is a link from the USCG site for "WAZ" -- no sailboat building affiliation. http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=WAZ

An aside: the info for "Ericson" is interesting because there is a small reference to the company that bought up the E-35-3 tooling.

Loren

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I would say that is a typo. I know of no association between the two but I am sure that Martin King or maybe one of the members that used to work for ericson can confirm this.

It does have an Ericson paint scheme which is quite different than the Cal paint scheme and the interior appears not to be a Cal of that vintage. That helm setup is pretty wild though. Pearson had a few boats that had the wheel up against the front of the cockpit but never on the bridge deck.

nightworker

jensen marine and ericson query

Loren, Tim,

Many thanks for the informative comments. Waiting for more info back from the broker. Certainly looks like an Ericson 39... I guess errors creep into documentation over 30-odd years...tks, nightworker

Guy Stevens

wrong hull number

That hull number is really strange. It is missing letters and numbers that were already standard on Ericsons of that Vintage.

I would get a rubbing from the upper starboard corner of the transom and see what the boats hull number is.....

The hull number for an e-39 should start with ery..... (Yes even back then!)

Guy Stevens

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Jensen who?

I can assure you that Jensen has nothing to do with Ericson. That
hull number doesn't sound like any Ericson one I've ever seen.

Martin