Guest viewing is limited

It's hard being on the hard

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
First time since we purchased "Radiance" that she's seeing some extended time on the hard for maintenance, and I'm jumping out of my skin here. (Unfortunately, she required some work that was out of my relative newbie comfort zone.) How do you guys that have yours up weeks at a time compose yourselves - especially during the sailing season, which isn't exactly a long one here in the Northeast?! My floating man cave is inaccessible, there's nothing left to read following winter, I don't want to keep busy with yard or house work, and the Mets stink. I'm thinking of taking up smoking again almost 20 years after quitting. Help me.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Only once was our boat in the yard for a couple of months, and I found that very hard. I went there most days, and busied myself with maintenance work that I hadn't planned--rewiring the 3 way switch for the bilge pump, checking and cleaning all wire connections in the boat, etc.
I might have had a few more beers than usual, but I would encourage you to not take up smoking again.
Frank

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Only once was our boat in the yard for a couple of months, and I found that very hard. I went there most days, and busied myself with maintenance work that I hadn't planned--rewiring the 3 way switch for the bilge pump, checking and cleaning all wire connections in the boat, etc.
I might have had a few more beers than usual, but I would encourage you to not take up smoking again.
Frank
Huh, either my wife got to you, or this is her burner account. :D Fine. Don't worry, I won't. Problem is I did all the things I needed to do during the winter and early spring. Nothing left to futz around with on board. Maybe I'll go pester a marina neighbor to get out on the water.

JSM

Member III
How do you guys that have yours up weeks at a time compose yourselves
The struggle is real. Here in Chicago we're on the hard from October to May. Haul out to Christmas isn't too bad but the time from then to spring commissioning can be horribly depressing. Aside from drugs and alcohol I find working a couple of days a week at the local West Marine helps. I can commiserate with the other lost souls who wander the isles for hours dreaming of spring.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yes, that's very hard! I used to live in a cold climate, hauling the boat in the fall, trying to survive winter without sailing by reading sailing boats, crawling inside the boat to check her periodically, and relaunching as soon as the ice melted.
I now live on Vancouver Island where I sail year round, anchor out alot, sleep on the boat whenever I feel like it (yes, I have a very understanding wife!).
The solution to your dilemma: retire as early as possible, move to a moderate climate and indulge your sailing passion.:)
Frank