Is antifouling needed?

Hcard

Member III
I have my hull cleaned every month by a diver. Do i need to have the hull painted with antifouling or any other paint? is it worth having it cleaned every mont or better paint and clean every six months. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. The boat is in Naples/Marco Island Florida.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
IMO, there is a big difference between boats in the waters of Maine vs boats in Florida. In other words, it all depends on where and even how you sail but that is something you should already know. My boat is in the Chesapeake bay and even there, some seasons, marine growth can be bad but not as bad as Florida I suspect. I never have a diver clean the hull during the season and only pull the boat out once every other year for bottom paint and other below the water line maintenance.

Now there are other racing boats on the bay that don’t have a lick of bottom paint on them because they’re racing. When the race is over they’re either pulled right away or a are kept in the water for short periods before the boat is pulled so the hull can be cleaned for the next series of races.

My assumption is that you cruise more then race with your boat. If so then I’d certainty bottom paint and even use Prop Speed on the prop and shaft, a product I whole heartily recommend. How much over the year you you spend on having a diver clean the bottom vs a coat or two of bottom paint? I think every sailor‘s situation is different not only depending on where they sail but how.

kapnkd

kapnkd
IMO, there is a big difference between boats in the waters of Maine vs boats in Florida. In other words, it all depends on where and even how you sail but that is something you should already know. My boat is in the Chesapeake bay and even there, some seasons, marine growth can be bad but not as bad as Florida I suspect. I never have a diver clean the hull during the season and only pull the boat out once every other year for bottom paint and other below the water line maintenance.

Now there are other racing boats on the bay that don’t have a lick of bottom paint on them because they’re racing. When the race is over they’re either pulled right away or a are kept in the water for short periods before the boat is pulled so the hull can be cleaned for the next series of races.

My assumption is that you cruise more then race with your boat. If so then I’d certainty bottom paint and even use Prop Speed on the prop and shaft, a product I whole heartily recommend. How much over the year you you spend on having a diver clean the bottom vs a coat or two of bottom paint? I think every sailor‘s situation is different not only depending on where they sail but how.
Excellent post!
Bottom fouling is different from area to area as well as with fresh or salt water conditions.

Originally living/sailing in Miami, bottom paint was an absolute must due to barnacles. (At night OB we could hear fish nibbling/eating on the growth as the paint wore out!) Best we could do is get two years out of it and that includes a diver (myself) scrubbing it once a month as it aged.

Now residing in the Great Lakes, we use a different formula bottom paint more for algae and zebra muscles. We pull the boat seasonally, so it’s power washed and then lightly sanded in the Spring and repainted. Luckily I don’t have to get in the water anymore as the bottom stays reasonably clean. …Some who race seriously (like my son with his S2 7.9) will clean their hulls occasionally or before an important race.