Information on Stands for Ericson 27

JHOnTheLake

I recently purchased an Ericson 27 that was on a cradle owned by the POs club. Not wanting to push the season at all but I'm looking for stands right now and I can't seem to find any information as to the height I'll need. I know I'm going to need 5, 4 flat and one V, but that's as far as iv'e gotten so far. Where do I need to look next?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Sometimes you can find used stands on Craigslist. People buy them for a project then never haul their boat home again.
There are "boat stands" (more vertical) and "sailboat stands" (longer, more diagonal.) I found a set of sailboat stands on CL, but then never took my boat off the trailer. The flatbed trailer was too narrow to use the "sailboat stands," so I built a cradle that integrated the screws and pads from the stands. Then bought a few shorter "boat stands" to go in close underneath. I think they came from "scaffoldmart.com"
Building a cradle is undoubtedly cheaper, unless you find a good deal on used ones.

As far as height, probably the E27 will use the shortest ones they sell. Like, the depth of the keel plus a few inches.

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Brownell is, somehow, the leading East Coast supplier of boat stands.

http://boatstands.com/

Jowi is, somehow, the corresponding East Coast supplier of folding cradles.

https://www.navstore.com/anchor-dock-cradle/boat-cradles/jowi-steel-cradles/

Cradles are significantly more secure but can be hard to store and move around.

These are simple, unpatentable structures and it does not seem like it would be hard for a metalworker to horn in on these businesses and undercut them significantly, but no one seems to have done so.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well, I think that is the schtick from scaffoldmart. They claim to make a better stand (galvanized instead of painted) for about 40% less money.
BTW: They also have a "handy" calculator on their web page where you input info about your boat and it tells you what you need to buy.
Then, if you really like spending money there, they offer special scaffolding to go around the boat while you work on it. Not that I had the money, but after moving a ladder around and around and around the boat for sanding and painting, and replacing the rub-rail, scaffolding might almost have been worth it.

JHOnTheLake

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much Toddster and Tenders for the great information. The ScaffoldMart (MarineMart) site does have the calculator and, although they figured I'd need two more stands than my marina suggests, I have a great direction to head now. The really nice part about ScaffoldMart is that they offer the information without having to be contacted by a sales person. Although the folding cradle was mentioned by my marina I think I'll go the stand route just for storage reasons. Thanks again for the great info!
Wishing you Fair Winds and Following Seas.:egrin:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Of course, the keepers of the calculator have a vested interest in selling more stuff to you. But though many people store their boat on four stands (plus a bow stand), it takes more than that for operations like painting. Because you have to move them at each step, it takes at least six to maintain four points of support. I suppose if you were working in a commercial yard, they might loan you a couple for a few days. I actually used ten to lift the boat entirely off its keel, so that I could work on the bottom. (I found quite a bit of old grounding damage to repair. So I fixed that, then added a couple more layers of fiberglass to the bottom of the keel.)

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Brownell Boat Stands

Hi Respected Sailors
Mattapoisett locals told me that Fred Brownell invented the stand system and the hydraulic trailer after returning from WWII. Fred used to haul boats in MA with a recycled Logan Airport tractor. Fred later adapted over the road tractors for use with his hydraulic trailers. Local high school grads considered driving for Fred to be a wonderful career. Great story of USA inovation and success. I think the family still runs the business. I used like to go to the town ramp and watch them haul. There are public park benches on the ramp too watch the fun.
Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+ Universal 5411

JHOnTheLake

@ toddster, Thanks for that clarification. I wondered about the discrepancy between SW's and my marina's suggestions but your explanation makes perfect sense. I'm hoping not to have to do any major work on the bottom for quite some time, if ever, but yes, getting a fresh coat of bottom paint on the entire bottom is essential.
@ Pat, How did you know I enjoy that kind of information? I really do enjoy finding out about how things come about. I just figured the Vikings had made early versions of stands for their boats and the designs just evolved from there.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Brownell

Hi JH
Other Brownell lore is that Fred was provoked to his scheme because he could not afford or find waterfront property to repair boats. The Brownell Yard was a mile or so from the water. The Mattapoisett Town had a wide ramp. Fred agreed to do the town dock and ramp maintenance in exchange for use. Seems like we have such a hard time nowadays figuring out simple schemes like this. We have been NH hauled by a independant boat hauler (for 25 years) that has three Brownell Rigs and still buys all their stands from Brownell. They all act like family and keep their equipment immaculate just like Fred did. Sorry to yarn with you all but this """ weather is for people that like to sail in the rain :<{((( Not us (yet.)
Best Regards Pat 1981 Ericson 28+ Universal 5411

dt222

Member III
JH,
I used 5 Brownell style stands, 4 with pads and 1 with a v for the bow arranged as seen in the picture- with 1/2 plywood supports for each leg, and chains between each pair. I got all of them on Craigslist for $150 if memory serves. They were a bit faded, so I repainted with rustoleum and a brush. This system worked fine for me.

DonP5300216.jpg

tenders

Innocent Bystander
A lot of people are probably just skipping over the term "hydraulic trailer." Let me assure you that once you've seen how a "hydraulic trailer" finagles a sailboat out of the water using only a launch ramp, you'll never forget it. It's worth at least an hour's drive to see. Bet you can't watch just one.

JHOnTheLake

@dt222 Oh My Gosh! You got a great deal there for sure and the way you have her set up looks really nicely done. I might have to move to Maine for a while to find a set for myself :)

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Brownell Trailers

Hi Tenders
You sure have that right. Our truckers are unbelievable soo nimble. When we used to relax on those Mattaposiett Park Benches the Brownell kids would but on quite a show.
They would haul three at a time on the wide ramp.
I have never seen it but friends tell me that when a hurricane reaches the Carolinas, Boston bound, the Brownell team will start hauling local boats and boats from the Cape and the Islands. They have had as many as ten trailers. They do a short haul and stack the boats on stands and in the streets of town. When the storm blows thru they pop them back in the water. I sure could not walk away from that show.
Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+ Universal 5411
BTW: We use six side (overkill but the painting is easy) stands and one bow stand