Info on E35-1

L124C

Member I
I've got my eye on a 35-1 Sloop, mainly because I love her lines. I also like the idea of an encapsulated keel in an old boat, and would love to be able to take advantage of this great forum as an Ericson owner!
In my research I've leaned that the boat was a modified Alberg 35. The amount of led in the keels seems to be the same, though the Ericson's displacement is 600 lbs lighter (I assume due to a modified keel?). Also, the ports were modified.
Any info or links would be appreciated. I searched this forum using key words 35-1 and 35, but didn't come up with much.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
There is some information on the E35 - 1 if you click on the Links/Downloads section above (you have to scroll down for a ways to find the right link). I suspect there is also alot of information in the project section, but I'm sure other E35 - 1 owners will reply before long.

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There's not a lot of info here on the Mk1, but if you do a Search with the word "alberg" you will come up some threads to peruse.
Best,
Loren

L124C

Member I
Thanks!

No, I hadn't see that. Brings up some interesting questions though.
Is the E35-1 "tender" without the 500 (Alberg) lbs?
I am curious where the 500 lbs was eliminated, as the profiles of the Alberg and Ericson in this link appear to be the same(with the exception of the rudder). I assumed displacementcemt was reduced at the keel.
I also wonder why she wouldn't "punch through seas" well.
BTW, it was nobel that the author made the effort to document the E35-1, even after he sold the boat!

Last edited:

PDX

Member III
I just re-read that link myself. It may be that King wanted the boat to heel more readily to lengthen the water line to increase the boat's top speed. A lot of the early Ericson 35-1 advertisements bragged about racing victories. I think that was a recurrent theme in Ericson marketing in the 1960s (and probably later).

Other early King designs heeled readily. Both the Islander 37 and the Ericson 30. But they stayed stiff at 20, 25 degrees. This was common with CCA designs. I don't know about the Ericson 41 but I suspect it may have been similar because reviews I've read said it was a really fast boat up to 10 knots apparent that required early reefing. Maybe "tender" depends on the comfort level of the sailor when the boat is heeling. Do you have the opportunity for a sea trial?

I don't know what they mean by not punching through seas. The hull shape, including the entry, is the same as the Alberg 35 and I've never heard anyone complain that that model is not blue water seaworthy. One of the comments did mention that the boat is not well suited to extensive motoring. They didn't elaborate but it is something you might want to pay attention to (if extensive motoring is important to you) if you get a sea trial.

Last edited:

L124C

Member I
They didn't elaborate but it is something you might want to pay attention to (if extensive motoring is important to you) if you get a sea trial.

Unfortunately, a sea trial isn't going to happen. If I get a shot at her, it will be in lien sale. I can see from her exterior that the boat needs some work and currently doesn't even have a main. Even in that condition, I've always admired her as I drove my boat past her. Now I see she is chained (seized). So, due diligencece is even more important than in a typical purchase. Possibly, I should have my head examined while I'm at it!
Hopefully some owners will chime in!
I missed the comment about not being a good motor boat. I wonder if that was with the original A4 motor. Seems like a lot of boat for a A4, especially given the full keel!

Last edited:

PDX

Member III
Here is some more info on the Alberg 35.
http://www.wavetrain.net/boats-a-gear/18-pearson-alberg-35
Interestingly, this owner claims she motors well. Wonder why Alberg went with a deck stepped mast? I wonder if the Ericson/Alberg 35 is deck stepped as well.

I would be surprised if the Ericson/Alber 35 were not deck stepped. Not only was it common in general in 1960s boat construction, but every Ericson model that I am familiar with from the 1960s (and even the 1970s) was deck stepped.

I realize that if you buy the boat it will be without a survey, but as far as the mast step situation is concerned, the thing you need to be on the lookout for is whether a compression post or a compression beam was used. The former, assuming no water intrusion, has been used successfully on thousands of sailboats, including blue water boats. The latter can be problematic. If you have a door in bulkhead #5 check to see how it closes.