In-water winter storage and cockpit drains...

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello All,
We are keeping our '83 E38 in the water over the winter. The question is what do we do with the cockpit drains that empty through the thru-hull underwater? I understand keeping the cockpit covered to minimize water/freezing. The two above waterline drains are not my concern. I am worried the below waterline drain may freeze and burst the drain hose. Do you close the seacock and pour antifreeze in the drain line? Do you leave the seacock open and let any water in the cockpit drain? Either way, I see a freezing risk for the drainhose/seacock. Any ideas appreciated, Thanks, RT

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Wow, either this is a dumb question or I have asked one that nobody has any idea on? Right now I am thinking close the seacock, dump in antifreeze and then put large rubber plugs in the drains. RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Around here this causes a problem only once in a decade, sometimes more often.
(We do not have to routinely pull our boats out for the winter, but do take sails and dodgers off due to high winds, December - February.)

When we have had a spell of freezing rain with some snow, AND it has been cold enough to freeze the water around the boat, water in the cockpit drains freezes, and then the precip accumulates in the cockpit until it overflows into the interiors of boats and even sinks some smaller ones. It has been about 25 years since we had such a weather condition... Most of us will not soon forget it, either. :eek:

Much more common is to have a week of sub-30 degree weather along with 25 kts of wind, and then have a gaggle of boats, power and a few sail, sink when the frozen and burst engine raw water systems thaw and the river comes in. The end of a big cold spell is the most dangerous time, as it were.

I would bet that the water in your drains will expand upwards and the hose will not rupture, FWIW. Then you have the secondary problem of de-watering the cockpit with the drains plugged with ice.

What with so many folks on the northern part of the right coast pulling their boats out, like those on the Great Lakes, the lack of ready answers may just prove that the "statistical base" for what you are asking is limited...
:nerd:

Do you have reliable AC power available to run a small "freeze proofing" heater to keep the inside at 38 to 40 degrees?

Best,
Loren in Portland, OR, on the Columbia River

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
My partners with my last boat convinced me to keep the boat in the water one winter, and it was a huge pain in the butt, and waste of time in my opinion.

I would close the cockpit drains and cover the cockpit to keep out precipitation.

Filling the cockpit would be unfortunate, but much worse would be a burst cockpit drain, sinking the boat.

We had a persistant stern tube leak, which meant we needed to keep our bilgepump operating through the winter, and in the Boston climate, electrons get really sluggish in January. The biggest problem was keeping the bilge pump warm enough to operate. We spent a lot of time keeping the boat afloat, that we would have otherwise spent fixing the boat (or drinking beer).

May I ask why you're tempted to leave the boat in the water this year?

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I'd be worried about flooding unless you can cover the cockpit completely and are willing to check on the boat a couple of times/week.

I'm wondering if your bubbler/agitator won't help to keep stuff open below the waterline? Otherwise I'd almost start looking for a "safe" heat source to put in the lazarette?
Just thinking outloud here... :nerd: We keep our boat in every other year, but don't freeze where the boat is docked.

Chris

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Well, thanks for the input so far!

The boat will be docked in a very protected marina. Reliable electric hookup provided. It will have a Fairclough "boomtent" that covers the entire top of the boat. The cockpit should be dry but some water always gets in and that water will find its way into the 2 of the 4 cockpit drains that empty through the thru-hull.

I am using a circulator that has both a timer function and a water thermostat to keep the ice from forming. I have been on the fence about using a heater. Heaters can be more dangerous than beneficial so I am not sure if I will use one or not. Apparently West Marine makes "dehumidifiers" that actually use heat to dry. Several people at the yacht club use them....

I can check the boat weekly, daily if needed. I am leaving the boat in because in water storage is only $3 per foot, plus my electric bill.

RT

Last edited:

Captron

Member III
Over winter

In my experience, the best way to keep your boat in the water over the winter is;

Take it to the Bahamas.
:egrin:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Ron just rub it in a little why dont you?

I keep my boat in the water every other year like Chris. Last winter I used a small electric heater set at its lowest setting. It was an oil filled radiator type that is about as safe as you can get. I ran a power cord from the dock to the heater not through my boats electrical system to keep the xincs and electrolosis problem out of the picture. I checked on the boat at least once a week sometimes more if we had weather. I secured the heater in the cabin so it could not tip over or get near anything that could burn. It never got hot enough to anyway. I took cushions and most other gear off the boat and opened all lockers including removing the engine cover. This let some heat into the aft cabin and I guess enough to the lazurette. Nothing froze on the boat. I probably could have not winterized systems as the lowest setting kept the boat in the high 40's to mid 50's most days. I worked on the boat over the winter too and just turned up the heat when I was there. How much snow do you get up there?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Ron just rub it in a little why dont you?

I keep my boat in the water every other year like Chris. Last winter I used a small electric heater set at its lowest setting. It was an oil filled radiator type that is about as safe as you can get. I ran a power cord from the dock to the heater not through my boats electrical system to keep the xincs and electrolosis problem out of the picture. I checked on the boat at least once a week sometimes more if we had weather. I secured the heater in the cabin so it could not tip over or get near anything that could burn. It never got hot enough to anyway. I took cushions and most other gear off the boat and opened all lockers including removing the engine cover. This let some heat into the aft cabin and I guess enough to the lazurette. Nothing froze on the boat. I probably could have not winterized systems as the lowest setting kept the boat in the high 40's to mid 50's most days. I worked on the boat over the winter too and just turned up the heat when I was there. How much snow do you get up there?

No kidding the Bahamas comment, eh? If I could get my wife to leave RI I would in a heartbeat. Untill then I am stuck here for the winters. The oil filled radiator heater is exactly what I had in mind along with hooking it up directly to the shore power. Regarding how much snow, well that depends on what year. Some years are warm and wet, others bomb us with snow. Its a crapshoot. The boat will come out next year, every other year is the plan. RT