Imron or awlgrip

Bob Brigham

Member II
Thinking about spending money I don't have, BUT...just in case...what do you prefer...Imron or awl grip? I know a case can be made for awlcraft too.

CaptDan

Member III
Well, when it comes to spending money, either coating will ensure your wallet is substantially lighter.

I can't speak to Imron (though I know many will claim it's better than AwlGrip), but I had our E35II AwlGripped in 2005. The paint looks virtually as good today as it did when it came out of the paintbooth. In my opinion, it was $6000 well spent.

That said, you'll find reports by others who claim their AwlGrip is beginning to fail after about 12 years. I think this has a lot to do with location, use, UV exposure or lack of it, and the coating's maintanence itself. I think it's important to have the hull 'AwlBuffed' (for lack of a better term) every few years. I think that goes a long way towards the paint's longevity. Conversely, using harsh cleaning/polishing agents will most likely contribute to an earlier demise.

Long story short: Our boat's appearance was greatly enhanced with the AwlGrip. But - (and this should be obvious) - unlike a well done hand applied enamel or epoxy coating - Awlgrip and Imron require professional application and equipment. Exceptions aside,these are highly specialized processes.

YMMV

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Emerald

My boat was done with Awlgrip in 2002, and it has held up very well It has been very scratch and blemish resistant, and in almost all areas, the gloss is high and looks like it was done recently. The one area where I have had some fading is in the aft most areas - the Independence 31 has a lot of tumble home, and as such, there are near horizontal areas of the hull as it wraps up and around to meet the deck towards the transom. I have always used the Awlgrip products to maintain it, and they do seem to be the way to go. Some of the downsides of Awlgrip is it can streak from things like teak cleaners and the shine is in the surface, so if it's scuffed, you can't buff it out. I don't have hands on experience with Imron, but I believe Imron buffs pretty well and can be brought back if faded and repaired more easily. I can't give you a comparison on lifespan though.