Guest viewing is limited

Icebox Wall Thickness

stbdtack

Member III
Because the compressor unit for the icebox needs to ventilated properly to work efficiently......regardless of how much insulation there is.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Heat Transfer

I do not mean to nit-pick at Ben, but the compressor does not need any special ventilation, per se.
The heat exchanger, OTOH, does. If you are using a small radiator and fan you would want to keep it as cool as possible.

( I note that many many production boats have the combined compressor/radiator unit fully enclosed under the galley beside the friege box !
:rolleyes: )

We and several other boats at our YC have put in the Frigoboat "keel cooler" option just because of the desire to exchange heat outside the boat's interior and thereby lower the amp hour requirements.

Cheers and cold micro brews,

Loren

stbdtack

Member III
air cooled units have the condensor mounted with the compressor as a unit. " Compressor Unit" was the term I used to mean the assembly that is mounted in the locker in most boats (starboard locker on mine and the same on others I believe)

The thread was talking about how to get cooler air into that space where its mounted. I used a 12volt computer fan on my Morgan to do exactly what the others were describing.

jkm

Member III
My unit sits in the lazzarette which is large enough to store two or three sail bags and is open to the rear lazzarette and area behind the ladder. It has plenty of ventilation and I have never felt any heat what so ever in the lazzarette.

I am very confident that with the Reflectix, as suggested by CAPTNERO, that the bargain basement approach will work.

I feel that his observation about air turbulence is right on. Not only did I coat the box with Reflectix, I have a Reflectix blanket I made, but I also put a tight form fitting Reflectix lid under the factory lid.

Today I disconnected the shore power and will see how she retains cold tomorrow. Got her riding on one battery. I have very low electrical draw since I converted to LEDs for all my lighting. Once I get rid of my auto pilot in favor of a vane I should only use electricity for the icebox. I love this stuff.

Thanks everyone

John

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Not there yet

When I looked at the shape of the inside of the box, I wasn't up for the precision fitting required so I haven't installed Reflectix yet.

Naturally I'm quite interested in your results. It sounds like you've done it up nicely.

Good luck with it John.

jkm said:
My unit sits in the lazzarette which is large enough to store two or three sail bags and is open to the rear lazzarette and area behind the ladder. It has plenty of ventilation and I have never felt any heat what so ever in the lazzarette.

I am very confident that with the Reflectix, as suggested by CAPTNERO, that the bargain basement approach will work.

I feel that his observation about air turbulence is right on. Not only did I coat the box with Reflectix, I have a Reflectix blanket I made, but I also put a tight form fitting Reflectix lid under the factory lid.

Today I disconnected the shore power and will see how she retains cold tomorrow. Got her riding on one battery. I have very low electrical draw since I converted to LEDs for all my lighting. Once I get rid of my auto pilot in favor of a vane I should only use electricity for the icebox. I love this stuff.

Thanks everyone

John

jkm

Member III
Ok,

My battery lasted 40 hours before it called it quits. Before the insulating it died after just 18 hours.

The cooler was very cold, though I did not open it more than twice.

I'm now going to turn my attention to the batteries and will report in.

I think the reflectix may have increase my battery life two fold. If I discover that my batteries are not suuficient to the task we may get two to three full days off one battery while anchoring. If this works I'll be in puppy heaven, for with my little 800 watt gas generator I may not have to engage my inboard at all to charge the battery that is quickly becoming the refrigerator's dedicated battery.

John

CaptnNero

Accelerant
way cool

John, thanks for the great lab work.

Now I can't wait to take the scissors to that big roll of Reflectix !

jkm

Member III
Neal

When I cut up my pieces I used Velcro to affix them to the walls of the icebox.

John

Menez La Vie

Reflectix for icebox

I bought a E35 last Fall and finally been getting around to the improved living projects to sustain a few days at sea. First, was food! I had the standard icebox probably from orginal make and pondered the $, time, and effort to put in the add-on kits for a fridge. I read awhile back about Reflectix for simple insulation and picked some up from Home Depot. The stuff took a little figuring out to cut and put in the icebox walls, but it didn't take as long as I thought it would. By the time I was nearing completion I could feel the heat retained by my head wedged in there to see what I was doing and I was sweating already. This told me it really retained either heat or cold. I put about 2 bags of ice (7-Eleven small types) in there and tested how long they would last and they half melted after 3-4 days and fully melted after 7 days. So, I got about a weeks worth of a cold icebox just by filling up the icebox every week. Now I just fill up plastic bags from my freezer icemaker at home and bring them over the boat at least once a week and it doesn't cost me a dime. Oh, I also bought some big plastic storage bins that I used like tupperware to store food and stuff in.