Ice Box Cubic feet

jamescio

Member II
Does anyone off hand know the approximate cubic feet of an icebox for a 1972 Ericson 29, I am considering a putting in a cold-machine unit. The boat is over 100 mile drive...just trying to save the ride.:egrin:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I am not sure whether your box is the same size as mine, but I expect the insulation around it is as worthless as I found mine to be when I ripped it out a couple of weeks ago.
Before adding a cold machine, I would recommend either adding some more insulation inside the box if you do not need much total volume, or pulling the box out and building a new box from scratch, which is what I am doing.
I have not yet finally decided what type of insulation to use, hope to do that this week.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Bobg

Member I
ice box

I too have a E29 with a worthless icebox, my boat is also over 100 miles away (lake superior), I would be interested in what kind of unit you are looking at. Thanks Bob

Ray Rhode

Member III
Don't know how much help this will be but the Ericson brochure that came with my 1984 E35-III shows that the E26 and E28 both have a 5 cubic foot ice box and the E32 has a 6 cubic foot ice box.

Ray Rhode

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
The most simple, and cheapest insulation materials recommended are Dow Board, or Insulpink (Insulpink is available at Home Depot). They are fairly resistant to water reducing their insulating properties, and simple to stick together in a box. Their simplicity means that you need an ablosute minimum of 4" thickness, more in tropical climates, for refridgeration.
At the other end of the spectrum, Glacier Bay make evacuated insulation panels with better insulation in 1" than 6" of regular insulation, made of stainless steel, and guaranteed for 30 years. The price they charge is commensurate - more than most 1970s Ericson owners can afford.
In view of the space available, I am looking for something inbetween - Dow Board is rated at R4, Glacier Bay at R30. If you do an internet search, you will find other products that sell themselves well, but... I am looking for personal recommendations, as a site that sells 'space age insulation', but can not spell simple words on their web site, does not make me want to rely on them for healthy food at sea.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972