I HATE My Traveler E-25

Cruzzor

Steve B. - Santa Cruz
Looking for a used replacement traveler for my 1976 E-25. The original one has those spring loaded buttons that keep the stops in place, and you can't move them while the sail is loaded.

Steve Swann

Member III
Yup, they pretty much suck

Looking for a used replacement traveler for my 1976 E-25. The original one has those spring loaded buttons that keep the stops in place, and you can't move them while the sail is loaded.

I got an early education with mine: When the old traveler doesn't work when sitting on the trailer in the driveway, you can be sure it won't work anywhere else! West Marine and other places sell travelers as complete kits that fit nicely. They simply bolt on as a replacement for the one you hate and will takes about an hour of time if you drink beer. The metal supporting arch stays in place, just remove the bronze track. I installed a couple of jam cleats so I can move the traveler back and forth from the cockpit just like the big boats. My replacement is a Lewmar, I believe - and it was one of the first things I replaced on my boat. Spend the money; you'll never look back.

Steve
Meridian ID
E25 cb "Seahorse"

Cruzzor

Steve B. - Santa Cruz
Yes, true but......

Thanks Steve, you are right, a replacement is best. Even the ones at West Marine were a little bit more then I want to spend right now. Also, all the ones there have straight rails and mine is slightly curved. I was told at the WM store that you get get them curved to your spec at the factory. He said you shouldn't bend the straight ones because that will cause the metal coating to crack, and lead to corrosion. Meanwhile, I have the old one moving pretty well by spraying "Sail Kote" (teflon) on the rail. I look forward to doing exactly what you did when I get little more money.