How to remove mast winch?

rgoff

Member III
I'm thinking about moving my mast winch from the jib side to the main side. I now have roller furling and don't really need the jib winch, but I'm having problems getting my new main tight enough in the luff.

The winch is mounted to a wooden curved block that wraps around the side of the mast. It looks like the only way to remove the winch from the block is the small allen head screw/bolt in the center (top) of the winch. Is this the way to do it?

Also could I just move the whole winch/block assembly to the main side with no problems. I've read something about a compression post needed for mast winches. I don't really know what that is. Maybe something inside the mast (and already there for the jib winch)?

Thanks,

admirals barge

Member III
mast winches

74 eric 35 II

i just removed both winches from the mast for cleaning and rebuilding. my winches didn't have a teak block between the winch and the mast. to remove the winch remove the allen screw that hold the drum onto the winch. when you take the drum off be careful that you don't loose the pawls and springs.
once the drum is removed it will expose 4 screws that hold the winch onto the mast. if your lucky you can break the screws loose. i wasn't that fortunate
i had to use a impact driver to break the screws loose. if the screw holes line up you can swap the winches. if the holes don't line up you will have to fill the unused holes and drill and tap new ones for the winch.
hope this helps
happy sailing
greg

u079721

Contributing Partner
Try a cunningham instead?

Just a suggestion, but if your reason for wanting to move your winch is to get the luff of your main really tight, why not consider mounting a cunningham instead? If your main has a cringle mounted a few inches above the boom, then adding a 4 part block and tackle from the base of the mast to that cringle as a cunningham would do a better job of applying luff tension, and might be a lot less work than repositioning the winch.

rgoff

Member III
Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, my main doesn't have a cunningham cringle.

I got a new "mail order" main last year to replace my 30+ year old main. I'm happy with it, except that the bottom 18" (or so) of the luff just doesn't get "tight". It kind of "puckers out". I don't know if it's a problem with the sail or it's just harder to get the luff taught with the new (and much stiffer) material.

Fair winds,

gjersvik

Member II
Have you considered buying another winch on e-bay (I paid $100) and adding it to the cabin top? Then you could lead your halyard and reefing line aft to the same winch and clutch set.

rgoff

Member III
Charlie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that approach. At least buying a used one on eBay sounds good.

rob m

why not add a cunningham cringle eye to the sail? then you can use the cunningham idea, and not shift any deck or rig stuff.

BTW, if aluminum and stainless 'weld' with corrosion, try plain vinegar as a solvent on the corrosion to clear it up before using the heavy duty manual/ mechanical methods. often makes all the difference in the world.

hodo

Member III
sail shape

Ralph, it sounds to me like your main is either not going to the top of the mast, or maybe the luff is too long. you should be able to pull the baggies out by coming head to wind, and with it winched up and cleated, you should be able to jump it,(pull out and down), or just out,toseeif it snugs up. If you cant winch it tight with the main winch, headed into the wind,look at the masthead with binoculars to see where the head stops. Good Luck HODO :devil:

Joe Benedict

Member II
The attached picture illustrates how the mainsail winch is mounted on my e29. It was like that when I bought the boat. The halyard goes through 2 blocks and a bullseye fairlead to the winch. The only problem I have found is that when the PO moved the main halyard to the port side, the masthead guide was not moved so it was really difficult at best to raise the main. Fixed that problem this last winter and it works just fine.

Attachments

• halyard.pdf
    93.5 KB · Views: 192

briangsmith

Member II
E-25 one mast winch only...??

i have an e-25 c/b- one mast winch only, for the jib apparently(?)
on the port side of the mast- this seems odd to me, as i don't really
feel the need to tension the jib with a winch, whereas one sure as
heck needs to with the main! will look again, but don't believe i
even see any original mounting holes on the starboard side of the
mast (i.e. if winch had been moved)

also, what do people do (major newbie question here) to hold down
the foot of the jib so the sail doesn't scallop? i would assume some sort of shackle/short piece of rope or cable attached to the bow area somewhere???

bgs