How to lower the upper swivel on roller furler

Tim C

Tim C
Hi all,

Just had my mast raised and surprise! The upper swivel that the halyard shackle would attach to is all the way up. Any suggestions on how to get it down? The halyard runs within the mast. I have shaken the foil, given as much slack as possible to the halyard, but, no dice. I have given thought to running my main halyard up the foil on some type of ring to snag the upper swivel or it's halyard shackle, but, I really don't know what would work to snag it enough to pull it down. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I will even put up with the normal amount of "You shoulda, coulda, woulda" comments. Yes, feeling kind of stupid. Thanks

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Don't forget to tie on a line to downhaul your main halyard!! Use a piece of # 12 copper single strand wire to make the hook, you will have to have a loop around the foil and the hook on that and you will have to work it up and down past the swivel until you hook it, the copper wire will straighten under load and free itself if it hangs on the wrong thing and won't leave you with two halyards stuck at the top.

Vagabond39

Member III
The ubiquitous wire coat hanger can solve this headache.However, they need to be kept in a lighted enviroment to prevent breeding.

Rob Salinas

Member II
Duct tape, fishing gaff, main halyard with down haul.Bigger stronger hook. Been there done that. Couldn't find the ten year old who terrorized the cove in his dink to send aloft :) snagged the schackle pretty quick, as it was a hank on jib.amazing how creative you can get on a mooring 26 miles from home.

Last edited:

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Hopefully you've got it down by now

Hope you were successful in retrieving your halyard. Would it be too much to unfasten the backstay, attach a line to the backstay, threaded through a block somewhere on the transom and run to a winch. Then lower the mast, get the halyard, and raise it again.

I guess this wouldn't work with a keel stepped mast. I'm unsure of the setup on a 23.

-Dean