How Much Water Do I Have?

Cruzzor

Steve B. - Santa Cruz
The water tank in my E-25 isn't clear enough to see how much is in it.

Anybody have a way to check the water level?

Or do I just wait until it runs out and then fill it? (Don't worry, I'm not planning any ocean crossings.)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Although I have never tried it, I have heard that a stud finder will give you the water level if you have access to the side of the tank.

Glyn Judson

Using a stud finder to determine fluid level.

Tim and others, Here are the details below as given me from my good sailing friend Lloyd Roberts. I have a stud finder on the boat and occasionally use it. It always works, giving me the level through my Ronco holding tank. by Lloyd Roberts – E27 Play Sea Bow
Use an electronic stud finder to determine the fluid level in your polyethylene holding tank. The dielectric constant principle of the finder works quite well to tell you how full your tank is. Place it horizontally against the side of the tank near the bottom. Turn the device on and slowly slide it up the tank side. It will indicate when it reaches the fluid level. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

George Fitch

I have not seen this done but I don't see why it would not work well and I have considered trying it myself. You could tee off of the tank outlet hose and add a length of clear hose. Now run this somewhere inconspicuous (maybe inside a hanging locker) and then run it vertically and fix to bulkhead. You now have a sight glass. You would need to go at least as high as the top of your tank (think about heel angle, too), but not necessarily as high as the deck fill as long as someone monitored the sight glass while the deck fill was being used.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Here is another trick that may only work in some situations. On our 38 the corner and part of the side of our main water tank under the port settee was visible, but it was darn near impossible to see anything. I found that by pressing a very bright flashlight on top of the tank that it would leave a great shadow that would illuminate right where the water level was. I could probably even have taped a ruler alongside the edge to try and quantify things, but it was good enough just to be able to say half or quarter full.

Cruzzor

Steve B. - Santa Cruz
Thanks for the great ideas!

The stud finder didn't work - maybe the plastic is too thick. When I put the stud finder against the tank wall and pushed the button, the light never went out. (I had tested it had home first, w/fresh battery)

The Flashlight idea didn't work, I couldn't see the water level. Maybe I need a brighter flashlight (or the tanks is almost empty?)

The clear tubing idea looks good, I can run it right alongside the tank.

Thanks to you all!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
mathematically

I think you could also do it mathematically. If this is correct, 1 cubic foot = 7.48051945 US gallons

Find out what size tank you have. Width, Length and height and calculate how many gallons it holds. Then take a yard stick and put it in the tank to find the water level, Then subtract that from your height of a full tank and re calculate. I would think that would give you an answer. This would be assuming you have a cubical tank.

They also sell tank monitor and sensor kits. I think some have a adhesive strip with a sensor in it that you apply to the side of the tank.

I use a flash light because I have a plastic translucent tank. I just keep it topped off before any voyages.

u079721

Contributing Partner
The stud finder didn't work - maybe the plastic is too thick. When I put the stud finder against the tank wall and pushed the button, the light never went out. (I had tested it had home first, w/fresh battery)

The Flashlight idea didn't work, I couldn't see the water level. Maybe I need a brighter flashlight (or the tanks is almost empty?)

The clear tubing idea looks good, I can run it right alongside the tank.

Thanks to you all!

The flashlight idea may not work for you, BUT I have been fooled when using it when the level was above or below the part of the tank that I could see. On my tank the view of the top couple of inches was blocked by the wood support beam. Until the water level dropped below that you couldn't see the air-water interface in the shadow from the flashlight.

Which, if you think about it, makes it a really lousy method - you can't tell between full and empty!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The flashlight idea may not work for you, BUT I have been fooled when using it when the level was above or below the part of the tank that I could see. On my tank the view of the top couple of inches was blocked by the wood support beam. Until the water level dropped below that you couldn't see the air-water interface in the shadow from the flashlight.

Which, if you think about it, makes it a really lousy method - you can't tell between full and empty!

I've got stainless tanks.... I can just pop the inspection cover and look if I really need to know, its very easy to get to. RT