• Untitled Document

Join us on May 31st, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

May Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How much is it going to cost to refinish/paint my boat

Wolfy189

Member I
My 1972 E29 is looking very unloved : ( I received her this way 3 years ago. We've decided to keep her so it is reasonable to spend some money and make her attractive. I don't have the time nor the inclination to tackle this job. I'm interested in your thoughts on how much I should expect to pay. Thanks

Walter Pearson

Member III
Different boat in different times with no doubt some different details, but some numbers for comparison:

E27 deck Awl-Gripped in 1999 - $4652 with about $545 worth of supplies provided by me to the firm doing work.

This included complete removal of the original non-skid pattern, building up those areas, and application of contrasting Awl-Grip with grit in those areas. This is not something I would recommend because the grit uniformity and effectiveness was not what I would have liked.

Estimate for topsides painting E27 in 2012 - $5737

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I don't know about professional costs, but I helped a friend paint his 26 foot boat a few years ago--both the cabin top and the hull above the waterline. His boat was old and in rough shape. It wasn't nearly as hard as we thought--two days prep time and two days painting and it looked like new at very low cost. We did not remove the deck fittings as is often recommended for a perfect job, but rather just painted around them and it turned out well. Painting the hull was the easiest part. Just a consideration....

Frank

Walter Pearson

Member III
Should have mentioned the work I had done was by professionals. Also should revise the deck refinishing costs because the cockpit sole and divider had to be completely repaired - after I cut away and removed the soggy stuff. So the deck refinish alone (1999) was $3500 and the boot and sheer stripes were and additional $457.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well, I did my e29 last summer and the paint alone was about $1000. I couldn't even guess how many hours it took to sand off all the old stuff and repair various dings in the hull. My guess is that paying a boat yard to do it would cost more than the boat is/was worth.

Last edited:

cswim

I am in the same situation. I am near Baltimore and I am looking to have the topside painted before next season.

Wolfy189

Member I
Thanks for the input. The cost, benefit is really not there I suppose BUT, I'll probably get it done anyway : )