How many 1974 Ericson 32 are still out there?

jpginsu

Member I
If I'm not mistaken, my Ericson 32 turns 50 years old this month. I saved her from destruction in 2019. She was abandoned and the marina was going to part her for the lead in the keel and parts. I was wondering how many other 1974's are still out there.
Let me know.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
There's one across the dock from me at the Everett (Washington) marina. I'll check in with them to see what year, and if they're "here".

Bruce

jpginsu

Member I
Great welcome to the club! I spent 2 years rehabbing mine. I'm not an expert but if you need any information regarding where to get materials, etc. let me know. I have attached before and after pictures.

Attachments

• Jacks boat 2019 before sale 13.JPG
    Jacks boat 2019 before sale 13.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Jacks boat 2019 before sale 3.JPG
    Jacks boat 2019 before sale 3.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Jacks boat 2019 before sale 4.JPG
    Jacks boat 2019 before sale 4.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Jacks boat 2019 before sale 8.JPG
    Jacks boat 2019 before sale 8.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Jacks boat 2019 before sale 14.JPG
    Jacks boat 2019 before sale 14.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Jacks boat 2019 before sale 17.JPG
    Jacks boat 2019 before sale 17.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 14

jpginsu

Member I
Here's the finished pictures.

Attachments

• jacks boat finished 2021 14.pdf
    381.6 KB · Views: 19
  • jacks boat finished 2021 13.pdf
    411.3 KB · Views: 4
  • jacks boat finished 2021 9.HEIC.JPG
    jacks boat finished 2021 9.HEIC.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 24
  • jacks boat interior 2021 3.jpeg
    jacks boat interior 2021 3.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 24
  • jacks boat finished 2021 8.jpeg
    jacks boat finished 2021 8.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 27
  • jacks boat launched 2021 7.jpeg
    jacks boat launched 2021 7.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 26
  • jacks boat finished 2021 11.jpeg
    jacks boat finished 2021 11.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 26

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Jack, that is some job. Congrats.

The site would benefit from a full accounting of work and time, if that has any appeal to you. The pictures suggest a vast amount of restoration, including a hull paint job.

My question is, would you do it again? The big question is always whether such projects reward the time and money, and in what ways they might do that beyond the obvious.

But that's stuff for another thread...if you start one.

jpginsu

Member I
Hi Christian,
Yes I would definitely do it again if I was younger. It was during Covid shutdown, so I had time since I was working remote ( I'm now retired) and no one was at the boat yard. Since it was during Covid, getting supplies took much longer than probably usual. As my friends have said, it was a labor of love. I've never done any of this work before so alot of trial and error. This was my first boat of any kind. I found this site by accident and found alot of information here that helped me along the way. As per the costs, I purchased the boat for $1500.00 from the yard since it was abandoned which was what they would get from the lead in the keel. The boat had good bones, engine and no major cracks in the hull, deck etc. The most expensive was having all the electrical wiring and components replaced with new and the tools I had to buy to do the work. I won't get my money back but it was never the goal. When my wife and I were dating 42 years ago, we took sailing lessons. We said that we would get a sailboat then life got busy. It's a goal that took 42 years to accomplish.

I have many pictures of the project throughout the process if you would like me to post. I just need to know how to post them without blowing the site up!:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I find that a personal Blog here is a good way to organize my projects. It will hopefully help to keep the information/pix accessible.

Last edited:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
. . .
I have many pictures of the project throughout the process if you would like me to post. I just need to know how to post them without blowing the site up!:)
Hi Jack,
Great work and congratulations! Nicely done. I'd enjoy seeing more photos of your work.

This link should go to Sean's Resource page with some guidelines for posting. There is really helpful information to help you express yourself here.

From the Media document: "limit the images to 2000 pixels by 1000 pixels, and no more than 3 mb in file size"

Most photo editors offer a way to reduce the size of an image. I work on a Mac and use a free editor called "Gimp". It's kind of klugey and basic, but it's free. There are a Lot of tutorials online for how to use it. I'm not an expert, but if you have a specific question, feel free to DM me. If you've figured out how to restore a sailboat, you can definitely edit photos.

I like it when people add a descriptive file name, as you've done. If it seems pertinent, I'll include our boat's model in case someone saves it for reference.

Cheers,
Jeff

fixntheboat

Member II
Looks great what you have done.I cannot wait to complete my current project. But I’m a ways out.. and every inch is /or will be new.,
one current ? I have , if attainable is the distance of the end of boom to the back stay?
Look forward to see/ finding more of your info at your Blog._storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Messages_IMG_20230714_165733_03.jpeg