How do Ericsons Sail??

PDXsailor

I am in the market for an Ericson 27, 28, 28+, and might consider a 29 or 30. I was wondering how do these models sail? Are they tender, tippy, stable, are they well balanced?

Also, are there any problem areas that I should be looking for when inspecting a potential boat? Are they prone to blisters? Soft decks? Any years to avoid?

Any info anyone can offer would be great!!!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
all nice boats

But very different. The 29/29 are fairly stable boats-able to carry full sail into breezy conditions. The down side is that they are slightly sluggish in very light air (compared to the new models).

The 28/28+ and 30+ carry a lot of sail for the length and weight, and thus are relatively very good light air performers, and just require that you shorten sail slightly sooner than you would on a 27/29. The 30-2 fits in between and is a great all around performer.
Thay are all well-built and well balanced, and will give you lots of sailing pleasure.
A percentage of these boats seem to develop hull blisters, but these can be fixed. They are not prone to soft decks-unless there is some damage or work that was not repaired or sealed properly. No bad years.

E-boats are always a good choice!

S

escapade

Inactive Member
What he said

I have owned both a E27 (1975) & E30+ (1980) and can only confirm what Seth said. The 27 sailed well w/large overlaping genoa (would run with 30 Catalina's w/170% genoa up) but had a tendency to "hobby horse" (pitch fore & aft) due to the placement of the Atomic 4. The 30+ was a fast boat that sailed & pointed very well. Had many people on "real" race boats amazed at how well it would point. Somewhat tender to about 20 degrees of heel but would stiffen up nicely after that so you never felt in danger of going over. Presently own a 1988 E34 but that will be your next boat!
If you have any more specific questions on either of those models I'm sure there are lots of people ready to jump in.
Bud Dankers E34 "Escapade" :cheers:

Gary G

Member II
Ditto...

I have a 1983 E28+ and am very happy with her. Seth is, as usual, right on regarding the relative tenderness of the boat and the need to reef early. (We fly a 127 Genoa and reef the main around 15 knots, but that's a matter of comfort and personal preference.) The boat is very well balanced and is easy to sail with no hands on the wheel. She points well and my kids really get a kick out of catching boats with a longer LWL! Solid boat and fun all around.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am in the market for an Ericson 27, 28, 28+, and might consider a 29 or 30. I was wondering how do these models sail? Are they tender, tippy, stable, are they well balanced?
Also, are there any problem areas that I should be looking for when inspecting a potential boat? Are they prone to blisters? Soft decks? Any years to avoid?
Any info anyone can offer would be great!!!

As I would try to explain it, You start with stability -- there is initial and final. Any boat with slack bilges will have less initial, i.e. it tips some when you step on board. This same same boat may easily be Very Stiff when heeled to about 12 to 15 degrees. At the other design extreme are the boats with more of a hard chine shape-change where the more vertical side turns at a sharper angle to the bottom shape. These will be very un-tippy when you step on board, but when they finally yield to enough wind pressure they heel a lot.

Most of the Bruce King Ericsons (and the earlier 26-1 and 35-1) have a deeper bilge and a sump and will heel a bit when you step aboard. And, they will stiffen a LOT as they heel. The more slack bilge and good V sections forward give you that soft landing when confronting big seas and will keep you comfortable.

All of the Ericsons (and Olson's, for that matter) have enough of a ballast to displacement ratio to be considered stable and safe. I freely admit that the flatter bottom on my Olson gives a harsher ride in steep seas, and that's the price I pay for double-digit speeds...
"There's no free lunch!" as the madam lectured the Nevada legislature many decades ago.

"Balance" is the part you will Really Love when sailing an Ericson. Most of the models you are shopping for are genuinely fun to sail, with a soft touch on the helm. These are boats that are just as much fun to sail with the tiller versions as with the wheel.

As to problems... any boat from any builder can have some bottom blisters (usually not a big deal) and any boat could have water intrusion in the deck if the past owner(s) have not rebedded deck hardware regularly. The survey will tell you what you need to know.

Let us know how your search goes, and feel free to share your thoughts as you refine your goals.

Best,
Loren in PDX