How did you install your chartplotter

Dave Hussey

Member III
Hi folks,
I am so excited about my new (although previously owned and now listed as obsolete by the manufacturer) recent purchase, a chart plotter, a Garmin 498 to be specific, from a fellow club member who had upgraded, and now I am trying to find ideas from others who have mounted a similar instrument on their boats...to plagiarize :egrin:
My boat is a E27. I do not want to cut a 25 square inch hole in my cabin wall to accomodate it, (5X5 if you're trying to do the math after a couple of shots of rum), and I dont have a binnacle, since this is a tiller steered boat. I want to be able to keep it in sight from the steering position which for me is the starboard side, up close to the cabin. I dont have a dodger (I want one so baaad, but my sweety says if I spend any more money on the other woman, I'm toast) :cool:
I am a visually motivated person, so if you have any pics, please post them.
And if you have any GPS stories to share...I would love to hear them. :egrin:
( I am an ex Coasty, and I spent a lot of my youth on an isolated LORAN station in Alaska, so I REALLY appreciate GPS...it's hard to explain)

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Swinging Answer

FWIW, I know of several boats with the West Marine swing out mount system. It can mount inside, on either side of the hatch opening, and be rotated out 180 deg. for instrument viewing from the cockpit.
I borrowed a small photo from their web site, for an example.
I have seen one of these on an E-27, and on much larger boats as well.

Best,
Loren

ps: speaking of Garmin, check out the info in this thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6339&referrerid=28

Attachments

• 545574.jpg
    545574.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,021
Last edited:

Dave Hussey

Member III
Hmmm. That would pretty much limit where I could install my plotter on a short boat wouldnt it. Now where did I put that Mu metal ....

Thanks Loren, I'll have to check out those swingers :egrin:

dwigle

Member III
We use the swing arm method for a couple of reasons. It is nice to use it in the cabin when planning a trip or at anchor using the alarm and depth for reassurance. While this doesn't apply to you, if we are traveling any distance, I'm not at the helm, the boat is being steered by the autohelm or the Monitor, and I can check progress from anywhere in the cockpit.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8

Ray Rhode

Member III
Dave,

I am not sure about the 498 but if you chartplotter has a magnet securing the card slot cover be aware of the "safe compass distance" in the specifications section of the owner's manual. Garmin recommends not mounting it within about 37 inches from the compass. This is because of a magnet used to secure the card slot cover. If you don't have a magnetic latch disregard this post.

I have a friend who discovered this and is now living with a large and variable compass error. He bought it online and cannot return it. Another friend bought one and returned it after discoving the problem.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

Maine Sail

Member III
In NavPods

With a custom made pedestal guard table. There is no substitute for having the plotter/radar etc. at your fingertips..

100451979.jpg