Home Inspection Nightmares

u079721

Contributing Partner
Clearly NOT Ericson related, or even boating related - but I found this series of photos on a Lowes/This Old House website of Home Inspection Nightmares and had to share it with someone. Since most of us have seen the occasional do-it-yourself-fix to our boats that caused us to wonder "What were they thinking?", (gate valves, garden hose fittings, romex cable, extension cords) I thought many of us could relate to the creative stupidity of many of these examples.

For example, how about keeping rain out of a skylight? (Just think of it as a hatch.) Rather than use caulk (something every boater has running through his veins...) this homeowner used a sheet of plastic held down by a tire!

Highly recommended.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20158517,00.html

Attachments

• Skylight.jpg
    Skylight.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 149

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Man, what a distraction! I spent 20 min going through a couple of sets of those, laughing my head off! :nerd:

You should see the wiring in our house - from some couple who owned the place in the 1980s - no junction boxes - no cable supports - nothing. It took the better part of the summer to bring it all up to code...

//sse

u079721

Contributing Partner
Man, what a distraction! I spent 20 min going through a couple of sets of those, laughing my head off!

Perhaps I should have included a warning to set aside a good number of minutes to get through all 100 or so photos - I did find it addictive.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Yes Indeedy!

Some Hilarious!:lol3: Some downright Scary:scared:

Good choice for the "Cover Photo"! Goes to show how much "work" some DIY'ers will do, to avoid a little "work", nice "guy" system! And what happens when he wants to use the "trailer"(spare tire)? :0305_alarCaution, he may be a boat owner!

Thanks for sharing, I live in a house "so afflicted"(DIY built)!
Some contributions of my own, including BUT not limited to,
my "suspended-overhead" FAX line!:nerd:. Had to get-r-done one night w/ 50' of "plug & play" extensions. Turns out the TEL junction box is right below the Fax machine, in the bsmt.(If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)
That's Maggie---"The-monster-dog"

Attachments

• FAX.jpg
    FAX.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

Kevin Johnston

Member III
DIY'er

Steve,
Classic. The binding clip and the wrap around the ceiling fixture was a good DIY'er improvisation. Any duct tape along the route? Ha, ha.
KJ

u079721

Contributing Partner
Some Hilarious!:lol3: Some downright Scary:scared:

Good choice for the "Cover Photo"! Goes to show how much "work" some DIY'ers will do, to avoid a little "work", nice "guy" system! And what happens when he wants to use the "trailer"(spare tire)? :0305_alarCaution, he may be a boat owner!

Thanks for sharing, I live in a house "so afflicted"(DIY built)!
Some contributions of my own, including BUT not limited to,
my "suspended-overhead" FAX line!:nerd:. Had to get-r-done one night w/ 50' of "plug & play" extensions. Turns out the TEL junction box is right below the Fax machine, in the bsmt.(If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)
That's Maggie---"The-monster-dog"

If those were 110 V extension cords rather than FAX cords I would be tempted to warn all of your neighbors to expect a fire any day now.

But I've seen quite a number of cases of CAT V computer cable and cable TV coax cable snaking across houses. I really miss living in my good old ranch house where all I had to do to run a cable was drill through the floor and run it along the basement ceiling till it reached where I needed it.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Rube Goldberg!

If those were 110 V extension cords rather than FAX cords I would be tempted to warn all of your neighbors to expect a fire any day now.
You haven't seen MY basement!:scared: 40's wiring gave way to MANY grounded HD ext. chords, All plugged into 15A breaker boxes though. It does limit powertool usage to "one @ a time"(only got 2 hands) In my house "powerstrips" RULE(within reason)!

KJ, The "binder clip" is right up-there w/ Velcro, highly "under-rated"! Oh, there's a few brass cup hooks too! Pretty much given-up on Duct Tape(crud)!The "new" tape of choice is Storm King vinyl weatherstripping tape, sticks like crazy, clear, strong and UV resistant!

Last edited: