Hey guys, newbie here, & to Ericsons. Looking

Ken C

Member I
Wanted:
I posted this on Comox CR. Hope it’s clear. I originally wanted the swing keel model, but it looks like they didn’t make any 25+ or 26s with a SK. We get lots of light( or heavy) on the nose NW over the summer months, which is why we think we’ll likely move on from our contessa 26. Lovely sailboat, but after 60 the lack of room is a killer. We’re planning a year or 2 up into the great bear rainforest/central coast area couple years after full retirement.
We’re a long way from major boat markets, but any advise or tips much appreciated.
Is a 25+ really too small for 2 people & 2 dogs for extended cruising? We manage ok w the C26 & don’t really want to go muchbigger.
Sorry for the long one, cheers Ken & Anne.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do you require the shoal draft capability of a swing keel boat? Are you going to trailer the boat?
what draft will be do-able for your purposes?
It will help others help you to narrow the parameters of your search...

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Ken, Anne,
The Contesa 26 is a good boat, but yes, it's weight and lack of interior space can be draw backs. But I am not sure that an Ericson 25 or 26 will give you what you're looking for, unless you've actually been inside them yourselves.
My wife and I live in Nanaimo, and have sailed alot in the Strait of Georgia, Desolation Sound, Discovery Islands and San Juan Islands over the 17 years we've owned our 1984 Ericson 30+, which we bought at age 55 in preparation for retirement. Our boat is comfortable for the two of us for a month or more at a time, sometimes with additional family aboard but usually just us. I also do alot of single singlehanded sailing. I definitely would not want a smaller boat than we have for BC coastal sailing. We don't trailer our boat, but our 6 foot keel has not limited us in exploring small bays, anchoring out more than docking at Marinas.
Unless you are limited in some ways and hence require a small boat, I would encourage you to rethink your boat size, check boats up to 30 feet, before you buy a boat that still won't be right for you.
Ericsons have a very good reputation, made good models in 27, 28, 29 and 30 or more feet, so there's lots to consider.
I have sailed our E30+ in both very light air and in up to 35 knots, 6 foot waves, and she handled either conditions well. I might not have felt so comfortable in those winds in a smaller boat. We didn't choose those rougher conditions, but as you know, forecasts change on the BC coast.
Just my opinion... good luck in your search!
Frank

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Wanted:
I posted this on Comox CR. Hope it’s clear. I originally wanted the swing keel model, but it looks like they didn’t make any 25+ or 26s with a SK. We get lots of light( or heavy) on the nose NW over the summer months, which is why we think we’ll likely move on from our contessa 26. Lovely sailboat, but after 60 the lack of room is a killer. We’re planning a year or 2 up into the great bear rainforest/central coast area couple years after full retirement.
We’re a long way from major boat markets, but any advise or tips much appreciated.
Is a 25+ really too small for 2 people & 2 dogs for extended cruising? We manage ok w the C26 & don’t really want to go muchbigger.
Sorry for the long one, cheers Ken & Anne.
I have a 26-2, which is the identical hull to the 25+. There were some shoal draft models made, though none with any kind of swing keel. My boat is the standard keel and draws 4'11".

As for the accommodations, it's pretty impressive for a 25/26 footer. I think two people could cruise it in reasonable comfort. If you add your two dogs then I'd say not so much. But then, I suppose it depends upon your pain threshold.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I'll add a bit more specifics about the 26-2 interior for you:

The boat has one really good sleeping berth, which is the starboard settee. It easily pulls out into a wide double. You and your wife could fit in it comfortably. However, you would typically not leave it set up for sleeping all the time but would pull it out each night and make up the bedding.

The quarter berth is long enough, but it is not easy to get in/out of. And if someone is sleeping in the starboard settee the person in the QB would have to crawl on top of them to get in and out. On my boat I put the QB cushion in storage and use the QB as my "garage." I keep the dinghy, oars, cockpit cushions, and so forth stuck back there.

The vee berth is reasonably comfortable but seems a bit shorter than either of those starboard berths. I'm only 5'7" and it's fine for me, but I'd imagine a 6 footer could find it tight. It really is only a single unless you are talking about two kids (or your two dogs). The ceiling is low so it takes a bit of contorting to get into and out of it. It's not that bad. This is the sleeping berth I have been using lately on my single-handed trips because I leave it made up as a bed and can then just crawl into it when I'm ready to hit the sack. It also has the virtue of having the forward hatch right above your head for ventilation. But again, there's not much headroom in there.

There is also a port settee. It's reasonably long (6'?) but painfully narrow, especially at the forward end. If you removed the backrest cushions it would give you a bit of extra width, but then you'd have to stow those somewhere. It's fine for sitting but not great for sleeping--though your dogs would probably dig it.

The enclosed head is tight but big enough. It's pretty good, really, when you consider the size of the boat.

The galley is simple but I think very functional. I don't have an oven but a two-burner alcohol stove. When I bought the boat it had a two-burner propane cooktop, though I didn't care for the installation and so ditched it for the non-pressurized alcohol. Either way, a two-burner cooktop works just fine. I also have a kettle BBQ mounted to the stern pulpit. I don't have refrigeration in order to avoid the electrical demands, so I just use ice. Works fine for me.

The boat sails really well, so I think you'd like it from that perspective--which to me is a very important one.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the 26-2. There are a few other 26 owners on the forum who may chime in.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This thread looks like it needs an entry for the berth sizing for an E-26-2. Can someone please add that?
Thanks!

Ken C

Member I
Lotsa replies. Thanx all. I’ll try & get around to answering everyone.

As far as the suitability of the E25+ or 26/2 goes I’ll certainly try & sail one first. It’s just that I hear really good thing about them as far as light air goes, & with 6’ HR & 9’ beam they seem like a big small boat. Particularly compared to the contessa.
As far as sailing goes I doubt I’ll find anything better than a C26. It’ll stand any sea condition & is extremely forgiving, which we already have good reason to be grateful for ( caught in gale off Cape Mudge)
But It’s not so great in light air. We have been told to get a drifter to fix that, but nothings going to fix lack of space & no HR☹️
Someone advised to go bigger. Maybe, but if I do it’ll be a bilge keeler, like a westerly. We reallly do like tucking in.
Cheers, for now Ken & Anne.

Ken C

Member I
Do you require the shoal draft capability of a swing keel boat? Are you going to trailer the boat?
what draft will be do-able for your purposes?
It will help others help you to narrow the parameters of your search...
Hi Loren.
No I have no interest in trailering, & now I realize only the E25 mrk 1 came with a swing keel. So bad luck.

I’m particularly interested in the light wind capability of the E25+ or E26 2. Both seem to have good head room & are roomy for their size. I will have to settle for a shallow draft ( 4’ approx?) but have no interest in the 5’ keel, tho it’s likely a better sailer.

I’d like to hear from anyone who has experience of, or knows of, one of these boats heading up the inside passage in BC & on to Alaska. Big water for a small boat. But that’s where we’re hesded in a year or two, after retiring fully.

cheers Ken & Anne

Frank Langer

Hi Loren.
No I have no interest in trailering, & now I realize only the E25 mrk 1 came with a swing keel. So bad luck.

I’m particularly interested in the light wind capability of the E25+ or E26 2. Both seem to have good head room & are roomy for their size. I will have to settle for a shallow draft ( 4’ approx?) but have no interest in the 5’ keel, tho it’s likely a better sailer.

I’d like to hear from anyone who has experience of, or knows of, one of these boats heading up the inside passage in BC & on to Alaska. Big water for a small boat. But that’s where we’re hesded in a year or two, after retiring fully.

cheers Ken & Anne

Can you tell us why you are limiting your search to a 25/26, rather than a slightly larger boat that would give more space for you both, and your two dogs.
Most responders here are suggesting that a 25/26 would be unsuitable for you both with two dogs, but you seem set on that size. Why?
Many slightly larger boats have more room and can still get into small bays, but are more seaworthy if you encounter rougher weather.
Frank

Ken C

Member I
Can you tell us why you are limiting your search to a 25/26, rather than a slightly larger boat that would give more space for you both, and your two dogs.
Most responders here are suggesting that a 25/26 would be unsuitable for you both with two dogs, but you seem set on that size. Why?
Many slightly larger boats have more room and can still get into small bays, but are more seaworthy if you encounter rougher weather.
Frank
Thx Frank,
maybe not logical but I don’t want the extra bother of owning a 30. - 35’ boat. Maintenance, cost of moorage etc. 25- 28’ has always been a sweet spot for us and hasn’t stopped us exploring a lot of the BC coast for over 20 years. I should add were coastal cruisers. Not much interest in blue water, if I did I’d certainly be shopping for something larger( Nor’sea 27 seems ideal)
But I’m certainly listening to advise here. If the consensus is the 25+ is too small we likely won’t go there.

Ken C

Member I
Hi Ken, Anne,
The Contesa 26 is a good boat, but yes, it's weight and lack of interior space can be draw backs. But I am not sure that an Ericson 25 or 26 will give you what you're looking for, unless you've actually been inside them yourselves.
My wife and I live in Nanaimo, and have sailed alot in the Strait of Georgia, Desolation Sound, Discovery Islands and San Juan Islands over the 17 years we've owned our 1984 Ericson 30+, which we bought at age 55 in preparation for retirement. Our boat is comfortable for the two of us for a month or more at a time, sometimes with additional family aboard but usually just us. I also do alot of single singlehanded sailing. I definitely would not want a smaller boat than we have for BC coastal sailing. We don't trailer our boat, but our 6 foot keel has not limited us in exploring small bays, anchoring out more than docking at Marinas.
Unless you are limited in some ways and hence require a small boat, I would encourage you to rethink your boat size, check boats up to 30 feet, before you buy a boat that still won't be right for you.
Ericsons have a very good reputation, made good models in 27, 28, 29 and 30 or more feet, so there's lots to consider.
I have sailed our E30+ in both very light air and in up to 35 knots, 6 foot waves, and she handled either conditions well. I might not have felt so comfortable in those winds in a smaller boat. We didn't choose those rougher conditions, but as you know, forecasts change on the BC coast.
Just my opinion... good luck in your search!
Frank

Frank Langer

Thx Frank,
maybe not logical but I don’t want the extra bother of owning a 30. - 35’ boat. Maintenance, cost of moorage etc. 25- 28’ has always been a sweet spot for us and hasn’t stopped us exploring a lot of the BC coast for over 20 years. I should add were coastal cruisers. Not much interest in blue water, if I did I’d certainly be shopping for something larger( Nor’sea 27 seems ideal)
But I’m certainly listening to advise here. If the consensus is the 25+ is too small we likely won’t go there.
Ok, fair enough. :)
In that case my suggestion is to look closely at an Ericson 28+. It would have more space, sails well, still within your 25' - 28' specs. Might still be tight for two people and two dogs, not sure.
There are a number of these in the Pacific Northwest, one that I know of sailing out of Victoria, I think. If you send a private message from this site to Second Star, he'll likely be able to give you lots of good information.
Frank

Ken C

Member I
I have a 26-2, which is the identical hull to the 25+. There were some shoal draft models made, though none with any kind of swing keel. My boat is the standard keel and draws 4'11".

As for the accommodations, it's pretty impressive for a 25/26 footer. I think two people could cruise it in reasonable comfort. If you add your two dogs then I'd say not so much. But then, I suppose it depends upon your pain threshold.
It’s the space within a still small boat we’re looking for. Headroom is a must after owning a contessa. I suppose I’m trying to get a read on the sea keeping abilities of 25/26 in longer & sometimes more open coastal runs ( I already know what the contessa can do)
A few people saying get a bigger boat. But living in port hardy we quite often see people venturing north in smallish craft, Bayfiled 25s, Catalina 27 and such like. Depends as u say on your pain threshold..

Ken C

Member I
I'll add a bit more specifics about the 26-2 interior for you:

The boat has one really good sleeping berth, which is the starboard settee. It easily pulls out into a wide double. You and your wife could fit in it comfortably. However, you would typically not leave it set up for sleeping all the time but would pull it out each night and make up the bedding.

The quarter berth is long enough, but it is not easy to get in/out of. And if someone is sleeping in the starboard settee the person in the QB would have to crawl on top of them to get in and out. On my boat I put the QB cushion in storage and use the QB as my "garage." I keep the dinghy, oars, cockpit cushions, and so forth stuck back there.

The vee berth is reasonably comfortable but seems a bit shorter than either of those starboard berths. I'm only 5'7" and it's fine for me, but I'd imagine a 6 footer could find it tight. It really is only a single unless you are talking about two kids (or your two dogs). The ceiling is low so it takes a bit of contorting to get into and out of it. It's not that bad. This is the sleeping berth I have been using lately on my single-handed trips because I leave it made up as a bed and can then just crawl into it when I'm ready to hit the sack. It also has the virtue of having the forward hatch right above your head for ventilation. But again, there's not much headroom in there.

There is also a port settee. It's reasonably long (6'?) but painfully narrow, especially at the forward end. If you removed the backrest cushions it would give you a bit of extra width, but then you'd have to stow those somewhere. It's fine for sitting but not great for sleeping--though your dogs would probably dig it.

The enclosed head is tight but big enough. It's pretty good, really, when you consider the size of the boat.

The galley is simple but I think very functional. I don't have an oven but a two-burner alcohol stove. When I bought the boat it had a two-burner propane cooktop, though I didn't care for the installation and so ditched it for the non-pressurized alcohol. Either way, a two-burner cooktop works just fine. I also have a kettle BBQ mounted to the stern pulpit. I don't have refrigeration in order to avoid the electrical demands, so I just use ice. Works fine for me.

The boat sails really well, so I think you'd like it from that perspective--which to me is a very important one.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the 26-2. There are a few other 26 owners on the forum who may chime in.

Ken C

Member I
Ok, fair enough. :)
In that case my suggestion is to look closely at an Ericson 28+. It would have more space, sails well, still within your 25' - 28' specs. Might still be tight for two people and two dogs, not sure.
There are a number of these in the Pacific Northwest, one that I know of sailing out of Victoria, I think. If you send a private message from this site to Second Star, he'll likely be able to give you lots of good information.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I agree with others here that the 80's E-28 is a great boat for a couple; we know a couple that sailed one for many years, and IIRC they had a large dog.
Regardless of boat model, be sure to check on berth space and also headroom. I am 6'2" (or used to be!) and that statistic was important when boat shopping.
If you could approach closer to your "30 foot LOA boundary", I would also suggest considering an Olson 911s, but they are quite rare on the used boat market.

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
It’s the space within a still small boat we’re looking for. Headroom is a must after owning a contessa. I suppose I’m trying to get a read on the sea keeping abilities of 25/26 in longer & sometimes more open coastal runs ( I already know what the contessa can do)
A few people saying get a bigger boat. But living in port hardy we quite often see people venturing north in smallish craft, Bayfiled 25s, Catalina 27 and such like. Depends as u say on your pain threshold..
The headroom is just fine for me--but then, I'm only 5'7". I suppose it's around 6'. The boat seems very seaworthy to me, though I've never had it in anything too crazy. It does seem substantial: no creaks or groans. To me, it sails like a larger boat.

Ken C

Member I
I agree with others here that the 80's E-28 is a great boat for a couple; we know a couple that sailed one for many years, and IIRC they had a large dog.
Be sure to check on berth space and also headroom. I am 6'2" (or used to be) and that was important when boat shopping.
If you could approach the "30 foot LOA boundary", I would also suggest an Olson 911s, but they are quite rare on the used boat market
The headroom is just fine for me--but then, I'm only 5'7". I suppose it's around 6'. The boat seems very seaworthy to me, though I've never had it in anything too crazy. It does seem substantial: no creaks or groans. To me, it sails like a larger boat.