Help wanted selecting rigging upgrades E32-2 tall rig.

cdh4088

Member II
Hello again,
I am finishing up deck repairs on my 78 E32-2 tall rig, and before I start constructing a headliner and painting the deck I must figure out the running rigging and its layout. The boat has been apart for years and most of the running rigging is outdated, missing, sheaves crumbling, etc. I will have to start from scratch.
I have have never owned or sailed on a larger boat before so please forgive my lack of knowledge and terminology.

About the mainsheet traveler:
I am replacing the worn out curved sliding track with a newer style straight track with traveler car. It will be mounted in the original location just ahead of the steering pedestal to use end-boom sheeting.
My question is, do I need a 2:1, 3:1, or a 4:1 traveler system, and why?
also the main sheet itself: 2:1, 3:1, or 4:1?

I also plan to change to some aft controls, I have a pair of winches for the cabin top and will add deck organizers and clutches. I wasnt planning on a complex system of reefing controls to keep it simple for lake sailing.
So far the list is:
Topping lift
Kicker
Main halyard
Outhaul.
My questions are,
What is the purpose of the jib halyard when using a roller furled headsail?
Will I need a "downhaul" for the main halyard?
What hardware do I need to get the outhaul through the front of the boom and down the mast?
What is the best arrangement at the base of the mast to run the lines aft?
Any pictures of this would be very helpful.

The boat also included a spinnaker pole and a massive sock-doused chute but I really have no idea how to set up or operate this, so I will figure that out at a later time.

Last question is about Viadana blocks and hardware, have you used any of their products? decent quality? The price is very attractive, and they have most everything I need in stock.

Thanks for the help.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
E32-2 members will help with traveler and deck layout. (The mid-80s boats are set up differently.)

What is the purpose of the jib halyard when using a roller furled headsail?
The furler has a grooved extrusion on the forestay. The sail is mounted in the grove and hauled up by the jib halyard. Normally the jib halyard just remains tight all the time, as opposed to a hanked-on jib that is raised and lowered, so there's no need for a dedicated winch (a clutch can hold the halyard)

Will I need a "downhaul" for the main halyard?
Not unless your mainsail sticks because the track, or the sail slugs, are worn out. Such a downhaul should be a temporary measure, because a mainsail that won't come down easily is inconvenient and a hazard.

What hardware do I need to get the outhaul through the front of the boom and down the mast?
Just a turning block on the collar, If the boom gooseneck has integral sheaves at both ends.

What is the best arrangement at the base of the mast to run the lines aft?
Standard is a mast collar with blocks.

mast collar.JPG

Last edited: