Helm seat

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I've been thinking about adding a helm seat (hump) for a while. With the typical strong spring/summer winds here in the Monterey Bay I've been doing a lot of sliding around at the helm. Hope to try it out this evening.

Attachments

• helmseat5.jpg
    helmseat5.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 118
  • helmseat6.jpg
    helmseat6.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Looks nice !

Can you still open the aft lazarette or do you have to disassemble the hump first ?

It's on our list so I'm glad to see your solution.

-Sven

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Sven,

The plan is to have a pin or two in the back of the seat and a hasp on the front. The seat pins will slide into holes in the transom and the hasp will hold the front of the hatch down and back. So to open the hatch all I will need to do is release the hasp (or latch) and slide the hatch forward.

The hump itself was easy to build. I had some more complicated designs in mind but I'm pleased with the look and simplicity of this setup.

We will see how affective it is soon :).

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The pins and hasp work - easy access. I never had a latch on the aft lazarette and installing one was on my to-do list. I guess I get to check two things off of the list :).

Attachments

• helmseat hasp.jpg
    helmseat hasp.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 75
  • helmseat grommet3.jpg
    helmseat grommet3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Just to follow up on the functionality of the helm seat hump, it is wonderful. No more sore legs after an active afternoon of sailing :). I added some rubber grommets in the holes that the pins slide into to make the holes less prone to leak. I really like this modification.

Carefree Sailor

Member II
Reviving an old thread

The pins and hasp work - easy access. I never had a latch on the aft lazarette and installing one was on my to-do list. I guess I get to check two things off of the list :).
Hi Mark,

I'm intrigued by the helm seat you made. Would you mind sharing the dimensions, including the width and thickness of the slates?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I made a helm seat that is held in place by three stainless steel tabs one back center and one on each side that just slip into the slot of the lazarette lid, therefore it can be lifted off. My hump seat is a little higher than the one pictured earlier than this post. I also made foot rest for the ends of the T cockpit that give me a level place to rest a foot when sitting on the side of the hump seat. Also when the boat is flat and height is needed there is a flat area on the foot rest that you can stand on. There is a double drink holder on starboard. I can get measurements if you would like.

This is something I did at the request of an 80 year old that helmed my boat often though I didn't think it needed. It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I was wrong, this is great comfort and keeps you seated when in heavy air with big gust.

DO IT

Attachments

• P4030570.jpg
    P4030570.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 78
  • P4030569.jpg
    P4030569.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 123
  • P4030568.jpg
    P4030568.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 71

Carefree Sailor

Member II
Hi Randy,

Yes, I would appreciate it if you would get me the measurements. Like you, this idea has found traction because of an older gentlemen who frequent helms my boat!

My boat is an E35-3 so I believe that my lazarette lid is larger. However, info about your helm seat would provide me with something to work from. I like your idea of using tabs to hold the seat in place.

Thanks,

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
George I think you will find the foot rest work well with the hump to give firm footing when heeled and sitting off center of the hump. My hump is a little higher than the one shown above. I fashioned my hump and foot rest after the helm area of a Seidelmann 30. The tabs are located center on the sides and center back on the hump, they extend about 1" down the sides of the lid and the hump is about 1/4 inch smaller than the lid causing the end tabs to pinch the lid (bend to adjust them snug). I also used 1'4" cutting board blocks for feet on the seat and the footrest (keeps them up out of the water and gives an area to grind down to make everything sit solid. The foot rest are held in place with Velcro.

Hump seat.png

Carefree Sailor

Member II
Randy, thank you for the schematic. I will do a mock-up to see how I need to modify it. Your foot rest is a possibility; however, I'm considering teak grating on the entire cockpit sole. I realize that the "rest" and grate are not mutually exclusive.