Heel angle on a 25+

tdskip

Member II
Hi folks - thanks in advance for the help. Is there an optimum heel angle that I should be targeting for speed? Not racing her or anything like that, just trying to get to know here. She moved right along at 10 - 15 degrees, but not sure if that is the right range to be shooting for.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I thought the physics of this is that for any given wind condition you want to try to keep the boat as upright as possible, because the more you heel the more the shape of the hull in the water is asymmetrical, causing the boat to want to head up more and requiring more "counter-steer" with the rudder to prevent that, which causes more drag and slows you down...

RKCRWLR

Member II
10-15 is great

I have an 88 E26, basically the same boat as your 25+. I do have a wing though. She is tender until about 7 degrees, locks in very nicely at 9. She sails great to 15 over. At that point the wife crosses her arms, presses her lips and gives me the evil eye. I don't heel any farther...:rolleyes:

markvone

Sustaining Member
I vote for +/- 15 degrees

You are slowing down when you start to use increased effort and therefore angle on the rudder to counteract weather helm from the heel. You can check this with your knotmeter on a windy day. When you're powered up enough to heel around/over 15 degrees and start putting moderate effort into the helm, drop the main on the traveller far enough to reduce heel while watching your knotmeter. On my '84 E26, once the heel was reduced, the rudder goes back to near center, the effort goes down and I gained a tenth or two of a knot from reduced rudder drag.