Having SS "Ericson" portholes manufactured ?

Sven

Seglare
To steal text from my other post ...

That will leave us with the aluminum non-opening ones and we'll have to see about getting those done too somehow, an identical shape/size replacement in SS would be ideal but we don't have a first-born to offer in trade so it might be out of the question.

How would one go about getting such manufacturing done ? I assume that the SS would have to be water-jet cut rather than bent into shape ? Setup for CNC for 4 different frames times 2 (inside and outside) would probably empty fort Knox (if the Wall Street bankers didn't already do that).

We have more important challenges but it sure would look good to get rid of that old aluminum :)

-Sven

treilley

Sustaining Partner
You could also polish the aluminum to look like SS. I think this would remove any anodizing so a clear coat would be prudent.

Either way I would speak with the folks at BOMON to see what they can do.

Sven

Seglare
Either way I would speak with the folks at BOMON to see what they can do.

I looked at their site many months ago when we were thinking of replacing the RV style aft "window" into the cockpit with a new one. I actually discussed having a new one made and they were very helpful and the cost would have been about half of what the New Found Metal replacement cost.

I was under the impression that they only worked in aluminum but do real quality work. If they do SS work I'll definitely have to ask them.

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If and only if... the original aluminum frames are worth reusing, how 'bout having them plated with chrome?
Evidently it is a bit technical, but according to some info I found is quite do-able.
http://www.finishing.com/0400-0599/575.shtml

That way you would have same fit and sizing and the physical "look" of the stock ports.
Whether it's worth all the work and re-glazing is a different question.
:rolleyes:

LB

Sven

Seglare
Hi Loren,

Whether it's worth all the work and re-glazing is a different question.

I should have mentioned that it isn't just aesthetics. There is evidence of old leaks and the rubber gaskets are pretty shot so we'd have to do something anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions,

-Sven