Harken Block Repair?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Harken Block Repair?

My Main Sheet Fiddle Block with Becket & Cam has a broken sheaves. See the pic, it's the upper sheaves. I have had a couple Guy's down at my dock tell me it would be cheaper to buy a new one that try to repair it. Well the new ones at this size are about $225. The next size down would probably work and it's only $132. I was at my local MW store yesterday pricing new ones and the Guy at the counter said he could probably order a replacement sheaves for it. It looks to me like the sheaves is part of the main body of the unit.

Believe it or not, the pulley still turns freely and I can sail with it the way it is. I just don't want to have it explode on me in a squall some day.

Has any one had experience in trying to repair one of these?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Block1.jpg
    Block1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Block2.jpg
    Block2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 103
  • Block3.jpg
    Block3.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 74

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I don't think those blocks are even made to be repairable. The side plates don't look like they can be removed. They look like they are riveted together.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Jeff, I'd contact Harken directly. They've got pretty good consumer service and might have some ideas. They are always interested in "trashed" equipment. E-Bay comes to mind also, for a replacement.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Contact Harken directly; you've nothing to lose. I did when our new-to-us boat came with a bent cam cleat backet on the main sheet. They said to send it in for a look see.
They sent it back with a new bracket AND a new cam cleat. Invoice was marked "no charge."

:egrin:

Loren

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Throw it away and get a Garhauer. If you don't want to deal with Garhauer directly then there is a reseller on Ebay, goes by Portparagon that seems to be able to get Garhauer stuff quickly with good prices. You'll spend less too. RT

Mike.Gritten

Member III
I agree, go with the Garhauer blocks. They have an amazing variety of sizes and materials, are all guaranteed for 10 years, and will cost way less than half of what you say the replacement Harken blocks will be. Contrary to others experience on this site, I had excellent customer service with my 'direct to Garhauer' purchase with everything arriving within 10 days of my order (Fed Ex ground shipping to Canada). I had to ask for Fed Ex as they normally use UPS. My 40 series stainless fiddle blocks (one with cam cleat and snap shackle) were $175 for the set.

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=11

Check 'em out!

dc27

have boat, need time
another vote for Garhauer. i've ordered blocks directly from them on three or four occasions (i'm replacing the ancient Lewmars that came with my boat, one pair at a time), and the service has always been professional and swift. the new fiddle block for my mainsheet is excellent!

the prices and guarantee are more points in their favor, i'd say.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks for all the help Guys. I think I will call Harken as Steve Loren suggested, especially since Loren got his repaired for free. If I find no luck there I will go with Garhauer. I just need to determine what the Garhauer equivalent would be. I wish they had a retail outlet so I could go in and physically compare.

All good suggestions. Thank you!:egrin:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Jeff,

you're welcome to come up to Vancouver and get all "touchy feely" with my blocks if you like! Er......my Garhauer blocks, that is. ;)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well, I just got off the phone with Harken. They said if it's riveted together, "It's Toast".

You were right mherrcat

Now to call Garhauer.

Thanks for the offer Mike. Is that Vancouver BC? Love that place.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wow, that was easy and painless. I just ordered Garhauer's equivalent to my $225. Harken and it only cost $50. bucks.

Thanks Again All!

sleather

Sustaining Member
:clap: Good for you! Yet another satisfied EYIE customer.

I'd still be scratching my head, or worse:headb:

Please file a "consumer report" on the switch. Inquiring minds................:confused: