Handling?

BMcCJ

I've had a chance to sail an Islander 36 but not an Ericson 35-2, yet.

Is there anyone on the forum who has an opinion, experience enough to compare the two?

thanks,

Bruce

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've had a chance to sail an Islander 36 but not an Ericson 35-2, yet.

Is there anyone on the forum who has an opinion, experience enough to compare the two?

thanks,

Bruce

I have done a delivery down the WA coast on an I-36 and it handles rough seas just as good as you'd expect from another design that is always on any short list of "modern classics" - along with the E-35-2.
Having said that I would take the Ericson over it in a heartbeat because the interior layout is MUCH Better. The nav. station in the Islander was almost impossible to use at sea and the bunk length was not too impressive either. Galley worked well.
Trying to get some sleep on the off-watch was really difficult.

Strictly IMHO, Both boat designs have a high "row away" score! :)

Cheers,
Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
...Esthetics...

I first recall seeing the phrase "row away" in an article some years ago by Bob Perry.
When you are anchored out and are rowing away and looking back at your lovely boat and it just looks "right" , floating on its lines, awaiting further adventures...
:)

Loren

Last edited:

Starduff

Member II
Not sure if you would agree, But I think my E-28 (Polonius) has a high row away score also! I find myself often admiring its' silhouette.

Richard

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure if you would agree, But I think my E-28 (Polonius) has a high row away score also! I find myself often admiring its' silhouette.

Richard

Oh, I would most definitely agree!
Bruce King designs have long displayed real artistry to go along with their engineering and style.

Happy Holidays!

Loren

:egrin: