Halyard winch mounting

Matey

Member III
So this halyard winch I want to cabin-top mount has the screw that fastens it's guts on the bottom rather than the top like most I'm familiar with. Anyone see a problem with drilling a 2-1/4" hole under the center along with it's mounting holes outboard ? I plan to wet all with epoxy in the process.

Thanks, Greg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 852

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Greg,
Can you provide us with the brand, model, and general vintage of this winch. I note that the mounting holes are not symmetrical. Looks like there has to be a required direction for the lead from the loaded side.

LB

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
A 2 1/4 '' hole will weaken the area and is a real risk of leakage. Please post pictures of the winch top and side view and list the make and any other info you have. The winch should not have to have the bottom open for install and service.

AleksT

Member III
Some older winches are put together in such a way that you have to remove them from their mounting position to service them. Even if you cut a hole underneath the winch you will most likely still not be able to easily access all the parts you need to get to to service the winch.
And yes it will weaken the mounting area.
Also it will probably be a constant source of leaks when it rains.

Matey

Member III
Chock it up to old eyes

Right on Randy ! The winch should not have to have the bottom open for install and service.
The damn thing has a snap ring I had trouble seeing like the old Barient's. You pop it and "Bob's your uncle".
Always worth sleeping on things .. humble pie is good for the soul

The winch is a Meissner 18 two-speed. They were hand machined in Holland. It's 20+ years old, but is new and was in storage. I picked it up for $85- .
I love Harken's winches, but at $450- for a halyard/reefing winch my cheapskate kicked in again :) and now I have some cash to figure out a cascading vang purchase :egrin:

Attachments

• 1 077.jpg
    1 077.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 1 075.jpg
    1 075.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 243

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
You can probably figure out how to orient the mounting of the base plate by looking at the orientation on your other winches; as noted there is a correct way to mount it based on the load. IIRC the bolt holes in the mounting plates of my Barients are not symmetrical either.

I have a small Barient winch for my boom vang and it took me the longest time to figure out that to get the drum off you have to stick your finger in the top and push down to release an internal catch...

Last edited: