Guest viewing is limited

Great Dismal Swamp canal, encounter with duckweeds and submerged log

jtsai

Member III
After 5 months exploring the Chesapeake Bay, I turned south for NC home port. Instead of retracing the ICW on my northern bound trip, I took the Great Dismal Swamp canal. The DSC is the oldest man made canal in the US, part of the national park system and is used only for recreational purposes. Pair of locks elevate boaters 8' above sea level and travel through narrow waterway lined with histories. There is a visitor center midpoint of the canal and boats from several counties were double and triple tied to the bulkhead. I believe this is also the only combo boat/car visitor center in the US.

The DSC has three hazards: low hanging branches, duckweeds and submerged logs. I was able to avoid all low hanging branches, most are easy to spot and none are mast-eating size, windex size perhaps. The Ericson engine intake is low in the hull and only found small amount of duckweeds in the strainer. A Catalina 42 came in to visitor center with overheated engine and busted sea strainer cover. A Nordic Tug trawler's strainer was half full with duckweeds.

For most part of the trip, I was behind the Nordic Tug and followed his zig-zag to avoid logs. It was a success strategy except one menacing log impacted at 5 knots with good solid thud on keel and rudder. That evening I found small amount of water in the bilge (the small one under the companionway step) and some in the main bilge in the salon. This boat's bilge has been bone dry for months and from the color of the water, I can confirm it was the heavily tanned DSC water. By the way, I also discovered the main bilge is not function.

I sucked out as much water as I could which is not much and did not see any more new water rest of the trip. After some investigation, the only evidence of hitting log was slack steering cable but no evidence water ingress from rudder shaft or engine shaft. Return to boat one week later, the bilge is again bone dry, not a hint of moisture. So my question is, where and how the water entered the bilge when the keel and rudder met Mr. Log at the Dismal Swamp Canal?

Attachments

• IMG_7448.jpeg
    IMG_7448.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interesting voyage. Good job.

I doubt we'll ever know where the bilge water came from. It seems unlikely that a minor collision would cause a brief leak.

I would check the thru-hull hoses and the stuffing box, and shrug (and fix the automatic bilge pump).

The next time water appears, try to consider any new factors (such as heeling over, which releases old water from TAFG compartments).

Mystery water in the bilge is a popular head scratcher and it's a wonder any of us has any hair left.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If your boat was sitting at dock for the week and your bilge dry, is it possible that water only comes in when you are underway? I would check carefully after your next sail, and if possible have someone else drive the boat while you check the engine compartment, rudder tube, and other possible sources of water.
Frank

jtsai

Member III
Participated in a race today under gusty 10-20 knots wind and boat heeled well over 20 degree on port and starboard tacks. No trace of water in the bilge. I will take Christian's suggestion, "shrug" and move on.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Do you have a stuffing box or a PSS Shaft Seal on your prop?

It sounds like a very cool trip. Good on you for getting out there for the adventure! I doubt Bruce King had in mind such a swamper....