Good info on E-27's from a Sailnet.com owner review

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
This review answered many of my questions, such as the hard steering under power. Sounds like it was written by an experienced sailor. Read on. Jeff Asbury.

Very well built small cruiser. 9' beam and 7000lbs. Modified fin keel with encapsulated ballast and fin rudder. Have a Simrad 3000 tillerpilot as there is substantial torque steer under power at anything above an idle and motoring any distance will really build up your arms. Roller furling 135 jib and full batten main with a fair amount of roach and one reef (set up with single line led to cockpit). Lazy jacks can catch battens though. Balances fairly well with not too much weather helm until you get enough breeze to be heeled more than 15 degrees close hauled. (then it's time to reef anyway) Will still round up though no matter how you trim. Can pinch up to 28 degrees apparent but you loose a knot over falling off a bit. Traveler over the companionway hatch and everything but the jib halyard on stoppers or jam cleats on the cabin top. (really like Lewmar stoppers as they are easy to release and ease under load). Have added a 3/16 downhaul to the main headboard so I can pull it down even while running. Easy to singlehand even in SF bay when things get going. Not the quickest thing going but in anything over 5kts she keeps up. Almost a wineglass form through the middle so it's sort of tender until 12-15 degrees then really stiffens up, picks up her skirts and goes. High freeboard and substantial sheer raise the bow up where most 30-32 footers are. Have been caught out in 40+ in the bay and wet and tired but never worried. Drilled a hole for a log sender and I keep the plug in the boat to show people, almost 5/8 of solid fiberglass layup.
Headroom listed as 6'2 but I'm 6'1 and brush my head on the liner standing barefoot. Forward wee berth is okay for two kids or one adult. Quarterberth could handle a basketball player. Made a hinge to fold the dinette up against the bulkhead which adds to spacious feel of cabin for a small boat.
Great first or second boat or one for a single hander who wants to be comfortable and safe but still be off the dock in a few minutes. Owner's Review for 1974 Ericson 27

Author: Steve Kirby

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I agree! Nice review!

I agree with Jeff. FWIW I wrote a review for Sailnet several years ago on our Olson 34. I get about 2 or 3 emails a year from people who have read it, some saying they are looking for an Olson to buy...
Sailnet.com provides a nice service.
Loren