gasoline fuel tank E35-2

steven

Sustaining Member
A4 is running like a top most of the time - but even after professionally cleaning of my old tank (and replacing fuel lines and filters), particles eventually clog the carb. I've pretty much concluded I need a new fuel tank. Can the tank on the Ericson 35-2 be removed through the larette or the quarterbearth access panel?

anyone have experience with plastic tanks - that would be my first choice if they work ok.

thanks

--Steve

unequaltee

Member II
Fuel tank removal

Hi, I took mine out through the stbd cockpit locker, it did take a bit of jiggling though.
Mine had half an inch of black goo in the bottom. I got rid of most with a pressure washer and to get to the stuff behind the baffle I used 1/2 gallon of cellulose thiners and a handfull of 3/8" nuts and shook it for a good ten minutes. One big advantage of replacing with a plastic tank IMO would be the reduction of condensation inside the tank.
I hope this helps
Ian

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Are you getting a grey powder in the carb? I did until my tank was cleaned, I had to cut the deepest corner of the wedge shaped tank off to remove, the tank was cleaned with a brush through that hold and then a plate welded over the hole and tested.
After that the only debris I got in the carb was fragments from a rubber fuel line I cut with a hack saw at 03:00 when I couldn’t find my knife and half asleep and not thinking.
I use a canister type filter before the electric fuel pump and an in line filter just before the carb. That works well, the grey stuff passed through both filters and caused problems before cleaning the tank.

Clean or replace all fuel lines and valves also including the pickup tube in the tank they will have lots of crud in them and a new tank will not fix that.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One caveat about "plastic" tanks. Check the ABYC reccomendations for approved fuel tank material. I believe that some types of plastic or composite might be OK, but you need to be sure.
You would not want to abrogate your insurance coverage, not to mention your own safety.

LB

steven

Sustaining Member
yes it is grey powder. I've replaced the entire fuel system except the pickup - a new tank would also include a new pickup. (and maybe a fuel gauge sending unit so I can lose the dipstick).

Did some on line shopping for plastic tanks approved for gasoline. They seem pretty cheap - maybe less than cutting/cleaning/welding the monel.
To make it easier to get in and out, maybe I should put in two smaller tanks - e.g., a main and a reserve. Any thoughts on this approach?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
More fittings, valves and tubing to possible leak. The tank in my E29 was aluninum and easy to cut and repair. The bottom of the sump was eroded out due to water and an aluminum tank and a copper pickup tube, a hole just below the tip of the pickup tube.

Attachments

• tank 001 text.JPG
    tank 001 text.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

Tom Plummer

Member III
Fuel tank removal

I took mine out through the lazerett it was pretty easy to do. I did have to cut the plywood bulkhead on the forward end of the locker down to get it out, but other then that it was no problem.

Matey

Member III
Steve,

I took mine out the hatch .. just fit. I read of some unfounded woe here about plastic but went that way and have been quite happy. Mine is a Moeller. New tank, hoses and water separator was only a few hundred bucks. No fuel or carb trouble since.
I sail and race shorthanded in the Bay & Ocean so it's been tested these last 3 years.

http://www.moellermarine.com

Regards, Greg

T3.jpg