Furler Question

KanH

Member II
To avoid a potential tripping problem while boarding my 30+ I am hoping to shift the furling line of my Harken roller furler from starboard to port. Aside from the ergonomics of pulling from the right side verses the left side, I can not see any reason why the furler wouldn’t work just as effectively on port as it does on starboard. It appears that all it would take would be to shift the line opening to the drum from facing starboard to facing port. To avoid having to un-tension then re-tension the rig, is there a way to do this with out having to first removing the fruler from the bow? I noticed there are three screws around the base of the furler which do not look like they are load bearing and might let me shift the opening. Does anyone know if this is the simplest approach or is it a more involved project than I hoped? ffice:oops:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I've never done it but I think it is possible without removing the foil. My furler line is on the port side and runs right inside the toe rail at deck level and has never presented a tripping problem. The only thing I guess you would want to be careful of is rolling your sail up with the UV strip ending up inside instead of outside.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Kan~

Super simple, no problems. You should remove the sail off the foil. Pull out the furler line and wrap the opposite direction than it is now. Switch over all your running blocks and shazzam!! The only issue will be your UV protective on the sail.

Last edited:

dwigle

Member III
Kan,
I think the others are confusing the way the sail furls instead of just leading the line down the other side of the boat. There is no need to take the line off the drum unless you change sails and the UV in on the opposite side.
You didn't say which Harken you have, but it sounds like maybe an older one with the stainless case. Have you checked to see if it will clear the opening without readjusting the cover? I got away with that on an earlier furler. The newer Harkens (all black open case) I believe are easy to adjust, but I can't remember the older ones. You shouldn't have to mess with the rig as the cover is just a guide and not structural/

Don

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Rob, settle down, too much caffein today???:p

I have a selden furler and there is a clamp that holds the line lead cover. I just have to loosen the clamp a little and spin it and re tighten. Hopefully your Harken is similar.

KanH

Member II
Thanks for the replies. I must have the older furler since it has the SS case. I tried moving the line to see how it would run but is is a little to close for comfort. My tripping concern is where the line runs across the gate and it is just high enough to catch a shoe or toe.

BTW, I do not know why I have all the smiley faces under my post. What do I need to change them?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
You have most likely a Harken MKI Unit but look here for ID help.

http://www.harken.com/charts/identify.php

To rotate the basket you will want to loosen the screws you referenced in your first post and rotate the basket. Then snug the screws. BUT, you will also need reverse the winding of the line on the drum and change the UV cover on your sail. When you lead on the line on the port side the line would furl the sail in a counterclockwise manner. This means the UV cover needs to be on the Starboard side of the sail. If its led on the strbd side now the UV cover is likely on the port side of the sail (I think anyway). The sail UV cover replacement will be cheaper if you take the time to remove the old cover yourself. Most sailmakers will charge you simple time and materials to do this swap so save yourself some money and carefully remove the old cover yourself.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I have the Harken MKIII. The way the line leads on the drum it actually goes to the starboard side of the drum even though the line runs down the port side of the boat. The UV strip is on the port side of the sail and the sail furls clockwise, so the strip ends up facing out. Seems like no matter which side of the boat the line runs on you can lead it onto the drum on whichever side makes the sail furl correctly, you just have to adjust the drum cage a little.

steven

Sustaining Member
I also have a Harken Mark I led to port. My 110% has the UV protection on one side and when I changed over to a 95% with UV the other side, I wound it the other way. Works fine. Still leads down port side.

--Steve