Fuel capacity of E34 (1987)

sailingdeacon

Member III
The specs call for 30 gallons. However even after I installed a new fuel sender, it seems that it is more like 20 gallons. I admit I have not taken the fuel to Empty and then filled back up. I have however gotten to 2/3 empty and filling back up supports 20 gallons. Is it possible that the shape of the tank could leave 10 gallons when the meter shows empty? (!!) I installed the sender carefully observing the instructions. Anyone ever truly measured the capacity?

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Deacon,
Ericson and other manufacturers are notorious for inflating the
tankage figures. The "30" gallon fuel tank on my boat is actually around
22 give or take.

Martin
E31C

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Small, but accurate

The tank capacity stated for my O-34 seems to be quite accurate. The builder label on it states that it holds 14. gallons. It also states that it is for the Olson 911s. :rolleyes:

Ericson saved some bucks by using the same tank in both models...

Fabricating a larger fuel tank is on our "list," as you might guess.

Loren

Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
tank size or how far can I go?

I have noticed the same thing on my 1988 E34. I have put 16 gals. in but the gauge said I was at 1/4 tank. Thought the gauge was goofy but maybe not. Has anyone ever measured the capacity? This obviously alters the max cruising range potential. Always something, isn't it!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

sailingdeacon

Member III
On the 1/4 measure:
Before you put in 16 gallons, what did it show?

I would take out the sender and see if it looks like it is working. It is mechanical and uses a floating arm - easily replaced. Mine originally had come loose and was sporatic.

escapade

Inactive Member
fuel sender

It showed 1/4 full before filling, full after. Bears out the 20-22 gal. capacity, rather than 25 gal. cap. my info stated. Like Martin said, apparently there was a LOT of leeway in the tankage numbers for these boats. Because of the odd shaped bottom, calulateing it is very diffucult. I'm going to measure mine & make a CAD model of the shape @ work. See what numbers my high priced computer comes up with.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Empirical Data time.....

Time for some real world data.
:rolleyes:
When you take the tank down to starvation level and have to reprime the line to the engine.....
First: add one gallon and: 1) note what the guage reads, 2) go thru the bleed procedure and get 'er running.
Second, add more fuel, a gallon at a time, and keep noting the guage position and also make your tick-marks on a notepad as you do so.
When the tank is full, you will have a useful (and non linear!) picture of what the float guage is really telling you AND you will know for sure what the capacity of the tank really is when you tally up all those marks.
:D

Sidebar: After I installed the new custom fresh water tank, I poured water into it with a one gallon jug. Good thing I made a mark on the pad for each jug poured... when full I had 38 marks!
Since that tank has no guage, I also made a wood batten sounding stick with 5 gallon marks on it as a backup measurer.
My fuel tank has a direct-read mechanical dial on the top with a float arm inside -- it "measures" a non-square tank with a linear set of dial markings. Life always has its compromises... I remember that the last quarter tank is really less than a quarter of the total showing on that guage.
:)

Perhaps you need a quiet day at the fuel dock, a helper to write down the information, and... be in a scientific and comtemplative mood.
Tedious, but not rocket science.

Best,
Loren in PDX
:egrin:

sailingdeacon

Member III
Loren, thanks so much for the thoughts, but I really don't want to take the tank to true empty because possible trash, etc but mostly because of the considerable problems we have in this area with algal growth - even though I treat the tank. I can appreciate the issue of the non-linear measurements. I am not too concerned with that. Moreover when I go down to 1/4 tank and refill it takes about what I would expect if the tank held 20 gallons. I doubt that the remaining 1/4 measurement would allow for another 15 gallons. I had hoped that someone would know the answer - if nothing more than having run out of fuel and then refilled.

escapade

Inactive Member
If you can find the spec's easily, I can plug them into the computer & calculate the volume from that. BTW, looked @ my fuel gauge today, it's a manual type located in the top of the tank (under the cushion in the birth). The scale is about 180 degrees of the face, full to 3/4 about 25 degrees, 3/4 to 1/2 about 35 degrees, 1/2 to 1/4 & 1/4 to E about 55 degrees each. I don't like to run the tank too empty because of the algae growth & other gunk that can be in the bottom of the tank. Also, in a rough sea state if the fuel get's too low it becomes too easy to suck air & lose the engine. The boat comes out of the water Wed. afternoon so I'll have lot's of time this winter to figure this out. Loren's method of measureing out the fuel would be the most accurate, but I think I can get pretty close w/the tank dimensions.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

clayton

Member III
fuel capacity

Sounds like you might have the same tank as in the 32-200. There is a tag on the tank that says 21.6 gal capacity or something very close to that. I just refilled and the gauge read 1/4, and I put in 16 gallons also. It will be interesting to see what the computer calculates...
Clayton

escapade

Inactive Member
Capacity?

Well, I pluged the dimensions into my computer & came up with a capacity of 32.3 gal. 7000/230.8. 230.8 being the cubic inches in a gallon & volume of the tank is 7000+ cu./in. Taking into account the possition of the breather tube aprox. 1 1/4" below the top of the tank reduces the useable volume to 24 1/2 gal. If the rear of the tank is higher than the front where the breather tube is located this will further reduce the useable volume. It appears to me we have a potential capacity of 32 gal but the true useable capacity is closer to the 22 gal. most everyone seems to experience. Apparently Ericson didn't really lie, they just didn't tell us the rest of the story. The only way to take advantage of the theoritical capacity would be to change the venting arangement to eliminate the trapped air in the tank. I'm not sure it's worth the work, but it's nice to know how much fuel you really have to work with when cruising. Thanks Sailingdeacon for the tank info. It really made it simple to figure (for the computer, anyway!).
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

sailingdeacon

Member III
Thanks so much for finally solving this riddle. But I admit I am still confused. How did you determine the 1 1/4" breather tube position. I see a "vent" which must be the breather tube. In the upper drawing there is a 2 1/4" which when taken with the middle drawing apparently indicatess a recessed portion in the tank??? Is this related to the lost air space???

Also I need help in understanding the drawing. Is the upper line in the upper drawing showing the BOTTOM of the tank? And the lower line in the lower drawing showing the bottom of the tank???

How would a recessed part of the tank cause an air space? wouldn't the fluid simply fill up the lines feeding to and from the tank?

escapade

Inactive Member
reading prints

You are correct in assuming the upper line in the upper view is the bottom shape. Imagine unfolding a box. The center view is the main side of the box, & the "flaps" fold out to represent the adjacent side views. The cutout shown is where the fill & vent hoses attach. They are positioned horizontally as they go into the tank. The air gets trapped by the fact that the vent is welded into the tank below the top surface. When you fill the tank, the air is forced out the vent. When the fuel level cover the vent opening the additional fuel being added forces the fuel out the vent. This then makes an oil sheen on the water which get the fuel attendant & the EPA all nervous & jerky. If the boat tends to sit stern high which raises the after end of the tank even more it exagerates the problem. If the vent tube where located @ the highest point on the tank you would not have this problem. But with the aft cabin layout & the fuel tank under the berth they were limited in how they could design the vent system. That is why the hoses go into the "cutout" in the front of the tank. Trying to put too much in too little a space. The 1 1/4 dimension is an estimate based on my memory of my tank set-up last time I had the cover out. Unfortunately my memory isn't always real good. Now, what were we talking about?
To make a short story long, we have a theoritical fuel capacity & a useable capacity which are somewhat different. If you base your motoring range on 75% of the useable capacity you shouldn't get into too much trouble. Hope I've answered your question.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

sailingdeacon

Member III
Applause by all! You have nailed it, Bud. Now who is gonna win the election? No, please, no answer, just kidding. But you are definitely a pretty smart guy!

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Read the label too

Removing the panel over the fuel tank of our '88 I could read the manufacturer's sticker. It's labeled as an E34, 27 gallons capacity.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
More to the point is the fact that the fuel fill hose has too sharp a radius where it comes off of the tank, and the hose can fail there. Mine did a couple of years ago, which is when I discovered that the fuel fill hose was the first part installed after the hull was laid up. :boohoo: Everything else was installed later.

This is not a problem if you always stay on a starboard tack, or, at least, have your final tack on starboard to empty the hose. :devil:

Richard Elliott

Member III
Fuel Capacity

Unfortunately, I tested our 1989 E34 the hard way by running out of fuel. Attempts to bleed and prime by filling the fuel filter at the dock on the level were not successful, supporting the totally empty of usable fuel theory. Refilling completely to overflow (whoops - I thought it held 30 gallons!) took 22 Gal.