Frigoboat keelkooler on E38-200

Willpatten

Member II
This seems so simple that I'm sure I'm missing something. What is it?
I can fit the Frigo compressor under the sink, to starboard actually below the bottom drawer. I'll have an access panel on the side, maybe even put is on slides for maintenance. It's water cooled but I may make that access panel a grate for circulation.

Then the keel plate is right under the compressor and the run to the reefer box is just a few feet. Wiring to the panel is simple too.

Isn't it a good think to minimize the amount of hose I run to and from the compressor?

I must be missing something.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In Search of Cold

Hi Will,

Only caveat I can give you is that the copper lines are pre-sized and precharged and normally are not cut or broken as part of the install. There was quite a bit of copper to deal with when I got done. A handy minimum radius to coil up the excess turns out to be an empty coffee can. Once I had fed the copper thru the opening at the top of the ice box, slowly, while guiding the new (attached) evaporator plate in... I then had all this pre-charged copper sticking out from under the galley counter. (By Odin's Beard, what had I got myself into! -- I remember thinking at that point. OK, that's the cleaned up version of my thoughts.)

I devised a way to roll it into a coil and carefully put that coil into place near the compressor. Last thing was to carefully (!) align the ends of the fittings and insert one into the other and quickly screw it together.
A bit nervous, it made me... :nerd:

See reply 27 ad 28 for photos in this prior thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1663&highlight=frigoboat&page=2

Have fun!

Geography is against it, but it would be nice to raft up some day and share some cold beers from our respective coolers!
:egrin:

Loren

Last edited:

Bob Robertson

Member III
Frigoboat 38-200 Install

Hi Will,
I've been really, really pleased with the Frigoboat system. It works really well and is super efficient.

I made a little platform and put my compressor under the Portside settee as far aft as it would go. It's out of the way there and I don't miss the storage space. That location was a little hard to get to anyway.

BTW Loren recommended the Frigoboat system. Thanks again Loren!

Enjoy,
Bob

Sven

Seglare
[rant] You'd think that a distributor for such a highly recommended product would know that watts per hour is not what they mean on page http://www.frigoboat.com/infocenter/consumptionguide.html . Watt-hours/hour, or just watts, is what they mean unless they are talking about power-consumption acceleration ! [/rant]

There is a Frigoboat in our future but I have a couple of questions for those of you who have already installed the keel cooler version:

- Did you install the keel-cooler with the studs ?

- Did you get the version with the zincs ?

- Would it make sense to install the keel-cooler before you have the rest of the system (we have to haul out shortly but won't be ready to do the full refrigeration installation until later) ?

- Did you do the fridge, freezer, either, or both installation ?

- If you did a separate fridge and freezer, did you enlarge the icebox access door ?

Many thanks,

-Sven

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
[rant] You'd think that a distributor for such a highly recommended product would know that watts per hour is not what they mean on page http://www.frigoboat.com/infocenter/consumptionguide.html . Watt-hours/hour, or just watts, is what they mean unless they are talking about power-consumption acceleration ! [/rant]

There is a Frigoboat in our future but I have a couple of questions for those of you who have already installed the keel cooler version:

- Did you install the keel-cooler with the studs ?

- Did you get the version with the zincs ?

- Would it make sense to install the keel-cooler before you have the rest of the system (we have to haul out shortly but won't be ready to do the full refrigeration installation until later) ?

- Did you do the fridge, freezer, either, or both installation ?

- If you did a separate fridge and freezer, did you enlarge the icebox access door ?
Many thanks,
-Sven

Hi Sven,
Taking the questions in order presented....
I went with the studless version and it installs with a large nut inside just like a regular thruhull. One of my pics shows that part. Due to little room to work, I sourced a fixed size end wrench in the exact metric size and then cut the handle short. I could lend you that handle but the postage both ways is probably close to the price of a new one!)

Next, I did go with the one with the zincs. Vendor in Seattle told me this was probably best insurance in the long run, especially someday if the boat is returned to salt water.
Third, I had the keel cooler installed months before I did the rest of the inside work, for just the reasons you state.

Fourth, I did the "fridge" since we have only one smallish ice box compartment. I should note that accidently turning the thermostat up over about "5" on the little scale turns our whole compartment into a freezer... (and when we listened carefully, we could hear the pop cans explode...) :rolleyes:

No answer to #5, not applicable for us.

Best,
Loren

Sven

Seglare
Thanks Loren.

That's great feedback. I'm tempted to do the zinc version too just because regretting not doing it would be so traumatic.

We'll definitely be making our cavernous icebox smaller by adding interior insulation and re-lining it, but the freezer-fridge question is vexing. The top access hatch can't be made much larger and I don't know how practical it will be to have that one opening for reaching into two compartments.

I was encouraged by the response I got from the company when I asked about re-charging the system if a tube bent and developed a leak:
Frigoboat compressor/condensing units are supplied with both high and low side service ports to allow connection of gages for repair. Frigoboat systems use R134a, which is a common refrigerant.

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Freezer option seems to be, for most folks, a "bin" style evaporator.
I only know a few boaters with this, but they tell me it does keep the ice cream frozen.
The bin can be vertical or horizontal.

Have you ruled out adding more external insulation? I added some more on the three sides I could (with difficulty) get at. I used flexible closed cell 1" foam panels.

Loren

Attachments

• 250Bb.jpg
    250Bb.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

Bob Robertson

Member III
Frigoboat 38-200 Evaporator Install

Hi,

I installed the evaporator that Loren referenced in his last post. I installed it horizontally just to port of the icebox lid opening at the top of the icebox.

You can buy a door for the evaporator. I have been planning to buy one for a few years; maybe I'll actually buy one this year. Even without a door it does keep the ice cream and ice cubes frozen indefinitely. We usually buy a bag of cubes and put them in the evaporator, so I haven't tried making ice cubes, but I suspect it would work OK.

We haven't added any insulation and we don't have any problems. I have heard of people drilling a couple of holes in the interior of the icebox lining and then pumping additional insulation in. Unfortunately I don't personally know anyone who has done it, but it might be worth checking out.

Enjoy,
Bob

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Loren and Bob,

That freezer box evaporator may be the solution. If I tuck it up under the top near the opening then it may be usable as a freezer near shore while the rest of the box is a fridge. Then, judging by other inputs, if we crank the thermostat up the whole box could be used as a freezer for long off-shore passages.

The current box is too large inside. As a matter of fact, Simon on GOODONYA filled part of his with Styrofoam just to reduce the cooling needs as he sailed from SF to AU. While I don't look forward to refinishing the inside of the box after adding insulation the advantage of the insulation and smaller volume should make it worthwhile.

Appreciate the suggestions.

-Sven

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Frig-o-boat Keel Cooler

We had a complete Frig-o-boat system that came with the boat, circa 1990 and it worked flawlessly, then I managed to get it wet with a grounding/ heel over episode-long story.
Picked up a new-in-the-box circa 1985 Alder Barbour to replace it several years ago, and updated the fan and compressor controller at that time.
I've since bought the Frig-o-boat Keel Cooler to install on LAYLAH, obviously to eliminate the ineffecient radiator-exchanger/ and fan.
I'll rough it all in and then have the Refrig. Tech come to do the soldering, flushing and charging.
Sven,
I'm using the horizontal evaporator with self-closing Door/ freezer. On the Independence 31 it is positioned so that the fwd. door end of the Freezer is just exposed when the dbl. hinged cover is completely removed. Access to the depths of the Frig. Box are fine.
I added an inch of the blue foam to the U/S of the counter/ top of the Fridge Chest. Placed blind thread anchors atop the foam with threaded studs that reach thru the foam to hang/ mount the Evaporator but I've used spacers so it has an air gap of approx. and inch between the top of the Evap. and the foam above.
I debated adding a small pancake fan for circulation in behind the Evaporator to come on with the Compressor. It' worked just great as installed, and with a loaded fridge will store Ice Cream no problem.
By maintaining that air gap I believe I've improved the effeciency at least somewhat. Once I've eliminated the cooling fan/ radiator I'll put a fan in the chest, that will definitely be an enhancement.

Last edited: