Fresh water tank leak on 38-200 ,1989

FrankJ

Member I
HI , I have a fresh water leak from the starboard tank and the water pump constantly runs. The tank appears to be under the shower seat in the head . From the lazaret in the cockpit I can see the deck fill hose to the tank but the tank appears to be behind a plywood wall. And the holding tank is next in the locker. I still need to check the shower connections but the actual tank appear to be really tuck away and not accessible . I apprecaite any feed back.

Loren thank you for assistance.

Frank

u079721

Contributing Partner
So when you say the pump runs constantly, which pump? If the fresh water pump is running, that is probably the pressure switch to the pump that is the issue, and not the water tank leaking. The tank could be leaking, but that would make the bilge pump run, and then only till it ran dry. Anyway, the starboard tank is (IIRC) in the starboard lazarette, underneath the plywood floor. So if you really want to get to it, it is accessible after you remove about a dozen wood screws to remove the floor. But I think you need to give us more info to help figure out what needs work.

Last edited:

Blue Chip

Member III
....and turn that pump off. Pressure water is just that. It's a sealed system that requires pressure and the pump is trying to do its job, but with a leak...it's not going to succeed, BUT in time t will run down that which runs it...the battery. Also, without the pressure pushing the water out of the leak, the rate of leaking may be reduced??

wheelerwbrian

Member III
If its the freshwater pump running, the leak is on the pressure side of the system - between the pump and a faucet. The freshwater tanks are not pressurized.

....and turn that pump off. Pressure water is just that. It's a sealed system that requires pressure and the pump is trying to do its job, but with a leak...it's not going to succeed, BUT in time t will run down that which runs it...the battery. Also, without the pressure pushing the water out of the leak, the rate of leaking may be reduced??

FrankJ

Member I
Thanks for everyones thoughts. I believe I found the water leak. Its located in the cockpit lazarette locker behind the battery charger, above the floor where the starboard water tank is. In the pic its behind the exhaust pipe. When the fresh water pressure pump is turned on the left grey vertical pipe has a spray of water coming out just above the connector.Seems like an odd area to get a break?

Finding the same plastic piping and connectors seem difficult. Has anyone used a different piping .

FrankView attachment 11806

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Going on a "qest" for more information

Thanks for everyones thoughts. I believe I found the water leak. Its located in the cockpit lazarette locker behind the battery charger, above the floor where the starboard water tank is. In the pic its behind the exhaust pipe. When the fresh water pressure pump is turned on the left grey vertical pipe has a spray of water coming out just above the connector.Seems like an odd area to get a break?

Finding the same plastic piping and connectors seem difficult. Has anyone used a different piping .

FrankView attachment 11806

Thanks

If it's the gray flexible Qest tubing, it has been replaced in the market by better products.
There's a whole thread or three about it on this site.
Here is one of several : http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-tubing-(drinking-water-system)&referrerid=28

LB