Forestay for e29

thomthod

Member II
Well Blooz Traveler had her first shakedown cruise on our first race of the season. Sailied great but I do have 4 broken wires on my forestay. I do have a profurl roller furling. What is the best resource for finding out the dimension on the forestay to have a new one made up?

thanks

Thom

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Measure the existing forestay.

Second that Emotion, as the song sez.
With broken strands, the existing stay needs to come down. Lead the spinn. halyard to a solid part of the bow and sock it up tight. If you feel that a back up is needed just bring the jib halyard down to a separate place near the bow and tighten it up, too.
You will need to go up there and undo the fore stay and lower it down with some line. Gonna need a helper or two for that. Once it's on the dock you can take it apart.

How old is that fore stay? Age of furler? If the number "20" or more comes before the word "years" it's time to change out the standing rig as well (unless the rest of the standing rig is newer).

If you have some digi pix please attach 'em.

Best of luck,
Loren

Guy Stevens

You can even do this with the mast in place

First using an icecicle hitch or rolling hitch tie the halyard to the extrusions and gently take up on them. Then Remove the link plate screws, and the foil retaining screws on the profurl, and raise the drum up. You will should be able to get to the forestay at the bottom to measure the diameter of the wire, and all of the alow pin sizes.

Then send someone aloft with the end of the the tape measure and a set of calipers. Measure the length and the pin size aloft.

Issues that may be difficult on this project:
1> The only part of the furler that is titanium is the screws that the link plates in. If they were not installed correctly with a really good anti-seize compound they may have become corroded to the aluminum body.

2> Getting the foil sections apart when trying to replace the fore stay. A heat gun and a couple of handy billies attached to solid points should make this doable if not easy.

thomthod

Member II
The mechanic at the marina took a few pictures with his cell phone, unfortunately I do not have them.

As far as all new rigging goes, I will do it as it comes up. I am still working on getting the engine running!

I would say the furler is about 10 years old.

I can only do so much ata time $$$$$$. Rome was not built in a day!

Thanks for the input!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
HS size

The furler model is designed for a specific HS diameter-whoever installed the furler had to specify this dimension...this may help you find out

thomthod

Member II
Talked to marina owner and he says we will just pull it next monday send in the the old one to port supply and get a new one. The best way to do it.:egrin: