Forestay diameter for E39?

boatboy

Inactive Member
Does anyone know the designed forestay diameter for the E39? We are replacing an existing older jib roller furling system that came with our boat. That unit, a Hyde, used a solid extruded aluminum rod with groove in place of a standard wire forestay. The new system will be a Profurl, but we need to know the proper size wire to hold it all up. I believe the two choices would be either 5/16" or 3/8". Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

stbdtack

Member III
forestay......

If you are going with a #42 Profurl, you can fit a 3/8 wire. The standard size pin for 3/8 wire fittings is 5/8 so check your pin diameters.

If you have 1/2" pins the std wire size would be 5/16, although you can get mechanical fittings for 5/16 wire with 5/8 pin size. I would stick with the 3/8 wire for more strength and less stretch.

I have a profurl on one of my boats (morgan 416) and it's bulletproof!

Ben

Seth

Sustaining Partner
HS dia

Actually, I believe it was 7/16 wire, but I agree, 3/8 will be OK
Good luck

boatboy

Inactive Member
It's hard to believe 7/16" was the designed size. When I look at the 3/8" wire, that stuff looks huge. Our current backstay and upper shrouds are using 5/16". Do any of you know how to find out what the original design called for?

We do have 5/8" pins.

I wouldn't dream of putting any under sized gear on her, but it does not seem to make a lot of sense to put a bunch of extra weight (and dollars) aloft when there are significantly weaker links in the chain.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
My bad

I had the time to check, and it was only the 46 that had 7/16. If the backstay is 5/16, then that should be fine all the way around. Sorry

stbdtack

Member III
wire choice....

5/16 would be plenty strong for the headstay and the mech. fittings are easily available (West Marine) for 5/8 pins. ( do spring for the 316 SS wire for the best corrosion resistance)

If your interested....

302/304 SS 1-19 wire

5/16: 10.5 lbs/50ft, min break 12,500lbs

3/8: 14.7 lbs/50ft, min break 17,500lbs

316 SS 1-19 wire (same weight)

5/16: min break 10,600lbs

3/8: min break 14,800lbs

Lew Decker

Member III
rigging - E39B

I was curious if any of you have opinions regarding the wire size on an E39B - If you were to consider sailing offshore, is the factory rig substantial enough? If you were going to re-rig anyway, does it make sense to go up in wire size, or is this just throwing away more money?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Friggin' Riggin'

Lew,

The original sizes are more than adequate for the "big water", The bigger issue is to make certain the rigging is in great shape and replace anything questionable. Safe travels!

boatboy

Inactive Member
For what it's worth, we decided to go with the 3/8" size wire in type 316. The cost and weight differential (between that and 5/16) were small enough that it was a relatively easy decision to go with the stronger stuff. While the 316 is not normally needed for our temperate San Francisco climate, I figured this wire would be encased in the roller furling extrusion and that could possibly be a more corrosive environment.