folding prop

Captron

Member III
Prop

Sorry,

Don't have the flex-o-fold ... but I installed a J-Prop three blade feathering prop ... of course, we're cruisers not racers.

I have great reverse now, the boat backs straight and has plenty of reverse power. This prop is also easy to adjust the pitch ... can be done underwater by just pulling and rotating a ring. Also it fits a standard prop shaft with no modifications meaning that I can keep the old prop in the bilge as a spare.

Expensive though and all things considered, I wouldn't do it again. It's far too complicated for a cruising boat. A friend has the original two blade fixed prop on his E38. Nice and simple. You just have to learn how to work with the prop walk in reverse. We seldom go into marinas these days anyway.

The coolest solution is what I saw on a friend's Swedish built boat with a Saab diesel. He had a lever on the pedestal that allowed him to change the pitch at will, even to full reverse pitch just like an airplane. You could change the pitch to suit the sea/current/wind conditions. Neat, but I'll bet it's really complicated. I've thought about it and I don't know how it works but I would imagine it must have a rod or cable inside the shaft that moves back and forth to control cams or some such inside the hub. No transmission required though so maybe overall it's less complicated.

:egrin:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Call Chuck Angle at Flex o Fold in Marblehead and he will spec your prop for your needs. Make sure to have your fixed prop specs on hand.

david henry

Member I
Thanks all. I'm having Chuck recheck the specs for the prop he sent me. It's on the boat and appears to be causing unusual vibration. It's a 16 inch with 12 pitch.

Last edited:

Wind River

Inactive Member
excellent prop

I have a flexofold on my 38. The size/pitch is 16x12. Cost me $880 and it peforms excellent in both forward and reverse. I have used martec and gori props in the past and the flexofold is the best 2 blade folder I have used. They match up the prop based on the engine and transmission you have on your boat. Here is a cut and paste from flexofold about my engine.... George

The engine you have , the Universal 5432, is also called the M40. They develop 32 HP at 2800 RPM. They are normally fit with a Hurth HBW 100 transmission with a 1.79:1 reduction gear ratio. they should use a 16x12 Flex-O-Fold. Because Martec Propellers are so much less efficient, they frequently need significantly more pitch.

wurzner

Member III
KIWI Prop

I'm hauled right now putting on VC Offshore and doing some minor fairing on my hull. My Kiwi prop looks great after almost a year and I am very pleased with it. I did chip one blade (not worth replacing yet), but it had shards of wire embedded in it meaning I hit a crab pot while motoring at night and it cut the cable with a composite blade. Band for the buck, reverse performance, low noise due to the low mass, and all...the 1300 on the kiwi was the best money I spent. I'm sure I'd feel the same with any other performance prop as well since it makes motoring and manuvering soo much better, so hats off to the gori, flex o fold, etc...I'm sure they are all excellent props and a great addition to the boat. For 1/2 the price or maybe even less than a max prop or autoprop, I like the 3 bladed Kiwi for performance, torque, and drag.

shaun

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I went with the 2 blade maxprop listed here:
http://www.pyiinc.com/index.php?section=max-prop&action=two-blade-classic&sn=2

It has been great in fwd and reverse. Was a little pricey at 1400 from pyacht.com, but it is a great prop with a solid history. I was intrigued by the Kiwi but could not find enough history on it to go that route. It sounds like it is a great prop and the price is a lot better than maxprop. I have never been thrilled with folders as they end up needing to be rebuilt after a few years as the wear and end up rattling around. But this is just my oipinion. I know many who swear by the folders.