fixing loose exhaust pipe

Frank G

Member II
Hi folks,
I have another thread on installing a new alternator bracket. While doing this job I discovered that the 1 1/4" pipe coming out of the exhaust manifold bracket is loose. You can even shake it side to side. I'm current struggling with removing the exhause hose, I'll probably have to cut it off and replace.
Here's my question: If by chance the bracket which attaches to the end of the manifold has the threads worn out and the pipe cannot be tightened up I'll first try to see if Torrenson has a replacement. If none is available is there some kind of heat resistant epoxy, or liquid metal kind of product I could use? I wonder if taking it to a machine shop and having them weld it would work?
Any thoughts?
Like Rosanne Rosannadana said on Saturday night live: "It's always something"
Wouldn't it be great to be able to afford a brand new boat?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Frank "...if it's not something, it's another"

This is a common problem and these threads tend to rust through very easily on the pipe. The bracket should be fine but you should be able to get one and if not, a machine shop could easily and quite cheaply make one rather than having it welded. The pipe can be replaced with common black iron pipe found at any HW store or big box. Do not use galvanized. It will give off a poisonous gas when hot.

BTW, which engine is this?

rgoff

Member III
Do not use galvanized. It will give off a poisonous gas when hot.

Wow, I didn't know this. I've always used galvanized when I re-did my exhaust (more than once). What's the poisonous gas? BTW, glad I'm still alive to ask the question. :egrin:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Galvanized steel gives off toxic fumes when it gets to 800 degrees F. It also loses it's anti rust properties.

Frank G

Member II
Hey Tim,
I have the Universal M-25 engine.
I didn't think of the fumes from the galvanizing. It is the zinc which gives off the toxic fumes. I remember when I was an assistant superintendant on a large industrial construction project the ironworkers had to cut a bunch of galvanized decking. they would get sick to their stomachs from that. they said that if they had milk to drink that it would settle their stomachs so I arranged for two gallons a day. I hope that those guys are OK today (that was in the mid 70's)
I won't get out to work on the engine until the weekend. I hope it is the pipe corroded away and not th e bracket.

I see you live in Maine. I was considering vacationing in Maine the last week of August and first week of September. I have never been north of NY on the east coast. I wanna see some old boatyards, go to some old second hand marine salvage places and find some dockside restaurant where the locals go which makes great chowder and lobster. Maybe you can steer me in the right direction later on in the year.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Absolutely Frank. That is a great time of year to be up here because many of the schools start that last week in August, I can steer you to some great places including our last Wed. night race in August if you like. Are you cruising up here or coming by car?