First two weeks

Brisco

Member I
What a blast we have been having. We made the MDR to Ventura trip with out incident, Motoring most of the way (I just wanted to get there before dark), We left MDR at 4:30am, I had predicted 10-15hour trip time, and we arrived at Ventura at 2:30pm (10hours). We did our first 2 hours in the dark, then saw an amazing sunrise, we then could notice we were in deep water (about 5 miles SW of Malibu) and the water took on the deep sapphire blue color (first time seeing that for us), We then passed through a field of large jelly fish.

After we rounded Pt Dume it was just a nice ride, no wind whatsoever, The swell kept gradually growing starting about 2-3ft and ending in the 6-8ft range.

Got into our new home and met several people on our dock. Very Very nice people at Ventura West Marina. The next day there was good wind, went out and got some actual sailing in.

Alot of fun, Alot of Vistors, Dream come true.

Spent the weekend after Thanksgiving on the boat, 6 people slept on a E23, record?

Sven

Seglare
Hi Todd,

Great to see your post !

Spent the weekend after Thanksgiving on the boat, 6 people slept on a E23, record?

Only if it was at the same time !

We'd talked about sleeping in the cockpit but never did. Is that what you did to your friends and weren't they cold ?

-Sven

Brisco

Member I
Hi Todd,

Only if it was at the same time !

-Sven

It actually was all at the same time... The Mother and Father In-law in the V Berth, My brother and Sister In-law on the Port and Starboard Settees and my wife and I on the sole of the cabin. We even took it one further and had a small dog onboard too. Everyone was comfortable and slept just fine... untill the Father In-Law's snoring drove some to sleep in the car.

Alot of fun though

sleather

Sustaining Member
What a blast we have been having.

:eek: I doubt you'll find much competition from me for that record!;)

Congratulations on a safe trip, too bad the wind didn't cooperate more. 10 hours of using the "iron wind" can be tiring. How much fuel did you go through?

HGSail

Member III
I can't beat 6 on a 23' but I can claim 11 on an 35 mk1. (this was back in the late 70's)

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Way to go Todd,

Good time too. Did you have a crew of 6 on your trip to Ventura as well. It's interesting you saw all the Jelly Fish. It's a different Ocean up there and I miss sailing in that area. When I was sailing to the Channel Islands out of Oxnard I saw things around those Islands I never see down here, including a pod of Orca's. Enjoying exploring Anacapa & Santa Cruz Islands. Hopefully you will also get to Santa Rosa & San Miguel Islands some day. Wild waters!

Brisco

Member I
We used about 2-2.5 gallons, kept the motor rpm's low... just enough to get us to hull speed. Didn't want to put too much strain on a unfamiliar to me engine.

Only my wife and I were on board for the trip north. It was after we arrived that all the friends started showing up. Course they did help us with the car shuffle.

Only regret was I didn't have a fishing pole, 10 hours of trolling could have produced something good.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Only regret was I didn't have a fishing pole, 10 hours of trolling could have produced something good.

I've got two Perko adjustable rod holders mounted to the rear life-line stanchions on my 23, a portable fish finder and I've caught a ton of fish(mostly under sail). Also have a Cannon mini-troll clamp-on downrigger setup opposite the outboard. I refer to trolling under sail as "stealth trolling";). It's a great diversion on those light wind "drifter" days.