exhaust system E-35-II

hinters

Member I
Hi all
Has anyone got a picture they can post of the hot section
of and E-35-II...the one with the engine located under the
setee in the centre of the salon?
The elbow on my set up comes up so close to the botom of the seat that the heat is burning the wood. I have to run with the cover off to avoid the risk of combustion!
This is not the original engine and certainly not the original exhaust system so I have no idea what the factory set up was.
If anyone can help with a picture it would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I have to rebuild this system or risk going up in smoke!
:eek::scared:
Thanks Pat
E-35 Lions' Den

hinters

Member I
Thanks John
We will be away for about a week (not on the boat) but
it would be nice to have a referance photo so I can get
at it when we get back.
Cheers
Pat

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My factory set up had the same problem, as previous owners had let the pipe insulation come loose.

The best retrofit I have seen had mixing in the engine compartment, then exhaust hose running under the quarter berth, to a water lift aft of the steps. There is a picture somewhere on this site.

Depending on the engine you have had installed, you may end up having to do some carpenty for space around the exhaust at the engine.

Gareth
Freyja #35 #241 1972

JMS

Member II
The best retrofit I have seen had mixing in the engine compartment, then exhaust hose running under the quarter berth, to a water lift aft of the steps. There is a picture somewhere on this site.

Gareth
Freyja #35 #241 1972

That thread would be here:http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=320

Another good E35-2 discussion with photos and drawings: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=320

Photos showing a Westerbeke/Universal OEM water injection exhaust elbow with siphon break port. They run about $175: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=4549.

You can download the Ericson owners manuals here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/local_links.php?catid=94. They have some drawings and info on the original exhaust systems.

chaco

Member III
E35II Exhaust System / Beta 902

Go to Search...E35II..."Water Lift Exhaust System Question" to see pics

Good Luck :egrin: :egrin:

Howard Keiper

Here's the setup I used. The elbow is a Westerbeke unit. It works exceptionally well. The pics may provoke questions which I would be happy to resolve.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

Attachments

• good elbow.jpg
    good elbow.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 133
  • Enclosure mod 4.jpg
    Enclosure mod 4.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 124

hinters

Member I
E-35 II Exhaust

Thanks Howard.
I just ordered the same riser online yesterday! I am
glad to see someone else has used the same solution
with good results. I assume that since the cooling water is introduced into the system early there is no problem
with the heat burning the bottom of the setee?
By the way I would be interested in how you managed to
gain such great access to the engine compartment.
Do you remove each side seperately or create one 3
sided box that comes off as one?
Anyway thanks for your input....I feel much better now!:cheers:
Pat Waters
E-35 II
Lions' Den

Howard Keiper

Pat...

The hose you see coming off the manifold outlet and it's companion going to the elbow go to a vented loop mounted behind the setee above the waterline.

If you're careful where you cut, you can separate almost the entire enclosure from the base, which is held by half-a-dozen 1/4-20 bolts. I replaced the nuts with nylon wing nuts. Putting it back together is a matter of pulling the cut section into place with bronze "T-bar" hatch fasteners and securing the bolts.

You'll probably want to run the now cool, wet exhaust to a water-lift muffler, such as a Vetus, then to a vertical riser..also a Vetus, which mounts conveniently behind the bulkhead just beside the electrical panel, thence to the original outlet. Very neat.

howard

jkm

Member III
Pat

Glad Howard chipped in. The link I mentioned above are the pics that he posted. His set up is really pretty clever.

Couldn't get you a picture of my setup as my boat was only to be out of the water a few days for a bottom paint job.

Yard put the sling around my prop and bent the shaft and prop.

Two weeks later she is finally going back into the water today.

Lost almost two weeks of great wind

John

Sparkytl4

Sparky E35-2 "Commotion"
Exhaust Issues

I have a system that has been routed through the quarter berth. I really hate this patch job by a PO. I do not want to use a double wall pipe as was the original design and this system seems like the best option, however i am not sure where to get this westerbeke unit and I am not completely sure I understand the hookup could someone please explain these things for me.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I have a system that has been routed through the quarter berth. I really hate this patch job by a PO. I do not want to use a double wall pipe as was the original design and this system seems like the best option, however i am not sure where to get this westerbeke unit and I am not completely sure I understand the hookup could someone please explain these things for me.

The original set up was not a good one, as it ran hot exhaust through the bilge for several feet aft of the engine, placing it in close proximity to electrical wiring, water hose, and wooden bulkheads which suffered damage when the (asbestos) insulation wore through.

If you can post a picture of what your P.O. has done, ideas of how to improve it may be forthcoming here. I do not know of a source for the Westerbeke unit, but a machine shop can make you an exhaust out pipe from the engine to the point it mixes with the water.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Sparkytl4

Sparky E35-2 "Commotion"
Westerbeke Unit

I just installed mine this past weekend. It is a westerbeke 200266 it is really simple. You can order this product online for about $150. You will also need the nipple for this that attaches to the exhaust manifold. This piece is about $20. The install is a 2" piece of exhaust hose run where that old double wall pipe was. For the piece itself you will need a small piece of hose to get the water into the unit. You can figure that part out I am sure. I would suggest a vernalift muffler just behind companionway and then right out the back. Good luck.