exhaust steaming & cooling system

Doug & Maile

we own a 1988 38-200 with the Universal 5432 engine. Above 1800 rpm with a temp of 150f we start seeing some steam which increases with increasing rpm. At 2200 temp will be 175-180. temps seem normal but we are concerned about the steaming. any ideas? in looking at the system we see a small diameter line from the exhaust riser that ends by tapping into the exhaust thru hull just prior to exiting the hull. we are concerned about the exhaust steaming at the exhaust exit point. is it normal if not, what might be the remedies. secondly is the above described cooling water configuration a factory install or ??.

Looking forward to your reply

Doug & Maile

u079721

Contributing Partner
We have a 1989 38-200. First off, the extra hose leading from the exhaust riser to the exhaust fitting at the transom was Ericson's version of a syphon break.

As for the steam, we too see fair amounts of steam, but only when it is cold out, as on overnight passages. (You don't mention where you sail, or hold cold it is there.) The coolant temp sounds good, so my only worry would be whether or not you might be burning coolant. Have you checked to see if you are losing coolant with time?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I used to get steam from my Universal M25 (1985 32-3) even when the engine was running at 140 degrees. Turned out that the exhaust elbow was getting clogged and going bad. I don't think steam is normal.