Exhaust Piping Insulation

scourge

Member II
Hi all,
1976 E 32 (Atomic 4)
Last year I bought some fiberglass tape for exhaust lines from West Marine. My engine exhaust pipe from my engine to the first elbow was exposed It is the stuff that comes with a thin aluminum cover. I wrapped the pipe with the aluminum foil on the outside. My wife and I took off for vacation on the boat. We were motoring to the channel and hadn't gone but a couple of miles when it tape started to smoke, BADLY. I was afraid of a fire. I ended up cutting the wire that was holding the fiberglass wrapping and pulling it off.
Has anyone used this and experienced the same thing?
Should I have put the aluminum foil next to the pipe? Supposedly this is what the wrap is for, but I'm afraid to put it back on again.
Any suggestions or answers would be most beneficial.

Thanks
Len 'Windshadow'

chaco

Member III
Fiberglass Cloth Tape

The insulation used on Exhaust Pipe is Fiberglass Cloth Tape (1/8"x 2").
Check out Western Pacfic Trading at www.wptinc.net. That is the WM Source
for Hotshield Fiberglass Tape #20001.
Have never heard of this Magical Aluminum Tape from WM :confused:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
We've also had good luck with the fiberglass cloth wrap (no aluminum wrap or sticky goo - you can use a safety-pin to lock it in place if needed). We got ours at a local good auto supply stores for a fraction of the WM price, often called "exhaust header wrap" or similar. You can find it in different widths... if you have tight turns use a smaller width.

Gmilburn

Member III
Exhaust Insulation

Hi all,

I have a related question that has been worrying me a bit. On my E29, the exhaust leaves the engine compartment insulated with what appears to be exposed asbestos. While I am trying to not overreact, my wife has concerns about it. Does anyone know for sure if it is truly asbestos and whether it might pose any health hazard?

I have attached a photo for clarification--it is in the upper right corner.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Attachments

• DSCF6592label.jpg
    DSCF6592label.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 434

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I don't know if that stuff on Gary's exhaust is asbestos.

I wrapped my exhaust with that 2" fiberglass wrap and used several independent loops of stainless wire to hold it on -- with the ends of the loops wrapped around each other like a twist-tie that closes a loaf of bread, then pressed into the fiberglass so they don't protrude and snag on stuff (much).

It did smoke a little for the first hour or so after I got the engine hot. It was more than I would've liked but I never thought anything was going to burst into flame, and it eventually stopped smoking altogether.

I can see the benefit of the aluminum cover, because the exposed fiberglass can be itchy if you're bumping into it while working on the engine.

chaco

Member III
Asbestos Pipe Insulation

Asbestos Pre-Formed Pipe Insulation is Grey Paper construction. Your Exhaust
Insulation looks like some kind of fire resistant Tape Wrap ?
The Deal with Asbestos is Friability....that is the ability of the Insulation to become Airborne when disturbed. Asbestos with cover that isn't disturbed means no Airborne particles....no Health Risk. Asbestos without cover and able to be disturbed means Airborne particles and Health Risk :cool:
Options 1. With Resperator / Bunny Suit / Gloves remove suspect insulation,
wrap with Fiberglass Tape
2. With Resperator / Bunny Suit / Gloves remove suspect insulation
Sample and have it Tested. As positive...Remove It. As Negative
replace as required.
Not Pretty whatever way you look at it...better safe than Sorry !

Good Luck to YOU :egrin: :egrin:

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Fiberglass Exhaust Wrap

This is available from EJ Bartells. I believe they have stores nationwide. They carry all kinds of thermal insulation products. I got mine at the Tukwila(Seattle), WA. location.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Chaco is quite correct on the Asbestos issue. As long as its not becoming airborne or "dust" its not a problem. I doubt its Asbestos but if you call around I'm sure you can find a lab that could test a sample for you. If it is Asbestos you have two options: Paint with high heat paint to seal it and keep it from getting airborne, if it is.... Or remove it. There is a very simple way to remove it. Spray it down with a spray bottle and water to keep it from getting airborne! Keep it wet, place paper towels under it to catch any asbestos bearing drips, etc. Keep spraying as you go and it will be easier than you think. I don't bother with the suit, just a respirator, and I have broken up a couple of old boilers loaded with the stuff. No dust an all if wet down well.

They make a big deal about disposal, must be labeled, double bagged, etc. and expensive too. Then they take it and toss it in the landfill with everything else! I think you know where I am going with this....

RT