Exhaust on E-27

I have a 1977 E-27 with an Atomic 4 that I have had for 1 year. Please bear with me this is a convoluted explanation but there is a question in here somewhere.

This was my exhaust layout - leading aft from the engine, screwed into the exhaust flange is what appears to be a 16" piece of pipe with threads at both ends. Immediately aft of that is a 90 degree elbow turning the exhaust to port. Screwed into the elbow was another piece of 16” pipe with threads at both ends. At the end of that, in the bottom of the port side cockpit locker was another elbow turning vertical. Screwed into that elbow and rising approximately 2 feet was what I thought was another piece of pipe but what I now believe is some type of muffler. On that vertical riser was a water feed from the engine block and the exhaust hose that led through to the transom.

The current state is this – everything but the 16” piece of pipe leading aft from the flange is in my garage. That 16” piece of tail pipe is VERY FIRMLY attached to the flange. The rest of the exhaust system virtually crumbled during its removal.

Questions – here they are.

1) Besides proper tools and brute force is there a trick to removing the tail pipe from the flange? 1 broken socket and a smashed hand later it is still attached.

2) Is the tail pipe just as it appears – a piece of pipe with threads at both ends or is there some type of ridge inside the exhaust flange? Should it be necessary to remove the exhaust flange to remove the tail pipe?

3) The vertical “riser” piece was in bad need of replacement and during its removal it fell apart. It appears that it was comprised of 2 chambers, 1 inner for the exhaust gasses and an outer one where the water got mixed in and ultimately passed to the exhaust hose to the transom. This is the only component that is not a straight piece of pipe so I’m assuming this acted as the muffler. Thoughts anyone?

4) What is the best way to replace this system? Can I replace it with identical components or should I rework the system?

5) If a rework is the way to go any suggestions? Component names etc.

Any information will be helpful.

Bill Sanborn

Member III
The 2 chambered piece at the top is a "heat riser". Water in the outer chamber cools the exhaust as it flows thru the inner tube which is open at the top and higher than the port where the rubber exahust hose connects so that cooling water flows out the rubber exhaust hose before it can backflow into the engine.

Plumbing is black iron pipe. Use penetrating oil and heat on frozen parts.

People have replaced this system with a "water lift" muffler sys, big disadvantage is that water can backflow thru the exhaust and into the engine especially when starting.

Build the plumbing yourself, or a machine shop can do it. No adv. to stainless steel. Don't use zinc plated.

Heat riser came from orig mfg., cannot locate name. EJ Bartells has fiberglass tape.

There is an "Atomic 4" email list available thru Sailnet.com. Their archives should have lots of info. also www.moyermarine.com, the guru of the A4. Moyer has parts incl. new flanges and manifolds.