Evidence of Build

tramp

Member I
Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a 1990 E34 in Southern California in charter with a small glitch. The Coast Guard is now making me Document the boat for both Pleasure and Coastwise instead of state registration. What I need is a way to get the document called "Evidence of Build". As we all know, Ericson folded around 1990 and Pacific Seacraft picked up the molds and records. Now they are history in California. I need to get in contact with a person of influence from the old Ericson company who can vouch that my boat was manufactured by Ericson. Any names and phone numbers would help me.
Thanks,

Dave Moore

obiwanrazzy

Member II
I'm not sure who you should get in contact with, but I think there are some ex Ericson employees on this site..

But, doesn't your boat have a hull ID number on it (on the transom)? Shouldn't that be enough evidence? What previous documentation was there on the boat (any prior records with the state)?

Guy Stevens

Why do you want coastwise?

The coastwise endorsement is the only thing that you have listed that would require a letter of build. I would not bother with the coastwise endorsement, you are not going to use it to carry cargo, dredge with it, or tow with it as a business venture. Document for pleasure only and you do not need a letter of build. Any boat can be documented if over 5 tons and owned by a US Citizen, where built does not matter. If you wish to conduct trade, or to utilize the boat for CAPTAINED charters, you would need to be able to provide a letter of build.

If you are using it for Captained charters, then you are up a bad creek without a paddle. If you are using it as a bare boat charter you are fine without the coastwise endorsement.

The letters of build can only be issued by the company that built the boat, it has to be signed by an officer of the company, and notarized. It states that the hull and machinery are built in the US, or in the case of the machinery states what portion of them as a percent of the vessel was built outside the us. Don Kolhman used to issue these for the cost of the notary and the postage back when PSC/Ericson was a company. Now there is no company no officers, so you are not going to be able to get a letter of build. Also there are no records in existence anymore either.... An unfortunate problems with the cessation of business of our favorite builder.

From the USCG: "Evidence that a vessel was built in the U.S. is required for a vessel which is to be used in the fisheries or coastwise trade. Build evidence is normally established by submitting a Builder's Certification on form CG-1261. That form must be completed by the person who constructed or oversaw the construction of the vessel or an official of the company that built the vessel who has examined the records of the company to determine the facts of build."

Note all of this has to do with US shipping regulations and the Jones act.

From CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) part 46:
§ 67.19 Coastwise or Great Lakes endorsement.
(a) A coastwise endorsement entitles
a vessel to employment in unrestricted coastwise trade, dredging, towing, and
any other employment for which a registry,
fishery, or Great Lakes endorsement
is not required.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...ss.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/pdf/46cfr67.19.pdf

Guy
:)

Last edited:

tramp

Member I
Guy,
Thanks for the detailed information. A couple years ago I got my USCG masters certificate so I could work for a local charter company. I just do day sails, whale watching, fun stuff, etc. I decided to put my own boat into the charter feet being the sole skipper and have the boat paid along with me as the skipper. Now I find out I need the Pleasure and Costwise documentation to contiue this GREAT JOB. I am waiting on the broker I bought the boat from to check his records, hope he can come up with something. After spending about $1500 (insurance, survey, better PFD's, etc.) to get it up to code to use for less than a year would be a bad thing.

Dave Moore

Sam Vickery

Member III
Dave,

You might try speaking to the Charter Company you are working with. It would benefit them as well to have you "up and running". They may know how to get around this.

I do not believe the other charter boats need this certification.

Sam

86 32-3

CaptDan

Member III
Guy,

I'm probably WAY late to this party, but I have plenty to add - having been through this ordeal - successfully.

Forget trying to get a build certificate from Ericson, PSC, or even Bruce King.
Mr King kindly wrote me a confirmation letter and the USCG rejected it.

There's only ONE thing for you to do: obtain a MARAD Jones Act Waiver. It costs $300, and takes about 12 weeks. MARAD sends you a document that you include with your Vessel Documentation papers, and you'll be granted a limited Coastwise Endorsement.

Despite the ubiquity of Ericsons, their known marque, and the eminently available fact they were built in the US, it matters NOT to the USCG. In fact, when you finally get your documentation, the builder's location will read: UNKNOWN.:confused: But - you WILL be legal to charter the vessel for hire.

The Jones Act is a very complex law, which can be interpreted in many ways. My advise is, don't leave it to chance that - if you're ever visited by a USCG boarding party while under charter - you don't have all your T's crossed, and I's dotted.

Google: MARAD, and get the ball rolling.

Hope this helps, and it doesn't come too late.

Fair Winds.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"